Author Topic: Tricky Hand?  (Read 7701 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: Tricky Hand?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 12:46:30 PM »
Not how I remember it, my recollections are as stated, but having said that my mind was spinning after being bluffed off it!! ;) Well played again, for your first live tournament you handled yourself very well, and had a pretty good run. See you at the next one, to resume hostilities.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 13:30:18 PM »

but i"d favour it being an ace x hand or QQ JJ or KQs or junk mostly here.
[/quote]

If this is his range y wud we ever consider 3/betting flop.  Surely he folds all worse hands, and cannot continue with ne bluffs on further streets.  If I flat the flop tho - I am pretty much commited to putting my chips in the middle.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 13:39:40 PM »

villain has put in near 1/2 his stack pre+flop dean hence i cannot see point of trying to get value?
also -
[it means we have put 5000 of our 12500 stack in,not good if we are going to fold to anymore action]
i did say folding later was not good :)

getting 60bb+ all in pre on a flip at best with AK in a deep structure [i assume] is not very good imo against weak players who we can out play post flop.

there is always point in getting value, people do put half their stack in and fold (esp in live games - see Darvin Moon) especially if they have a complete airball. calling the flop and letting villain barrel gets a wider range of hands in for stacks that going straight out and re-raising the flop.

The point about 3betting is a simple one. If you are not willing to 3bet/call 60bb with AK after 5x opens then you should not be 3betting at all. 3bet/folding is turning a premium hand into a bluff. Also i think most people overrate how much they can outplay post flop, especially as stacks get shallower (hero"s even shallower if we 3bet/fold AK). APAT events are good structured events, but deep post flop play doesn"t last forever in these once you hit the 200/400 level and beyond.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 19:13:21 PM »

but i"d favour it being an ace x hand or QQ JJ or KQs or junk mostly here.

If this is his range y wud we ever consider 3/betting flop.  Surely he folds all worse hands, and cannot continue with ne bluffs on further streets.  If I flat the flop tho - I am pretty much commited to putting my chips in the middle.
[/quote]

because the bet sizing and the line took post flop made me favour an ace x hand or QQ JJ or KQs or junk as villains range after check turn..

villain has put in near 1/2 his stack pre+flop dean hence i cannot see point of trying to get value?
also -
[it means we have put 5000 of our 12500 stack in,not good if we are going to fold to anymore action]
i did say folding later was not good :)

getting 60bb+ all in pre on a flip at best with AK in a deep structure [i assume] is not very good imo against weak players who we can out play post flop.

there is always point in getting value, people do put half their stack in and fold (esp in live games - see Darvin Moon) especially if they have a complete airball. calling the flop and letting villain barrel gets a wider range of hands in for stacks that going straight out and re-raising the flop.

The point about 3betting is a simple one. If you are not willing to 3bet/call 60bb with AK after 5x opens then you should not be 3betting at all. 3bet/folding is turning a premium hand into a bluff. Also i think most people overrate how much they can outplay post flop, especially as stacks get shallower (hero"s even shallower if we 3bet/fold AK). APAT events are good structured events, but deep post flop play doesn"t last forever in these once you hit the 200/400 level and beyond.

on the flop - the more money an opponent puts into the pot, the better his hand is likely to be at that time,but where my logic comes into mikeys situation here is that this pot is big enough and worth taking down now,the reason i might think tptk is good here if called is when players play flops a lot of the time there bet or raising ranges tend to be wider than there calling ranges when 1st to act in a raised pot against 1 caller,so to me 66 JJ on a rainbow flop a lot of players will tend to c/c or lead with a std cbet or less, the pot is so big now compared to both stacks that if mikey 3bets all in king worse kickers will call and QT obv will call as might AJ QJ some of the time QQ may make a crying call, if mikey just calls we dont have any info that villain will continue with his bluffing range especially if the turn or river brings any scare cards for him and us such as 9 aces jacks queens even tens might kill all the action,as it turned out the turn check by mikey was ideal along with the 2 bricks as MasterofRNG did decide to bluff..For mikey as played though upto flop imo the 3bet all in is the way to go.
your point dean on 3bet folding - imho if players are not capable of making laydowns with hands such as AK QQ JJ etc [all premium hands btw] then thats not a good tendency to have,.maybe its because players hate feeling they are being had/pushed around and cannot bear the idea that they maybe folding the best hand. meh just my opinion of course which rightly or wrongly i"m not going to change.. :)

when i saw MasterofRNG explaination on his river bet and the line he took [well the way mikey remembers :)], it reminded me of an article that i read somewhere on check min raises on flops that i copied and filed away , here it is -

A lot of the time, a check min raise will work on the flop, but this is only if your opponent is bluffing and is also a weak player post flop
WHAT IF THEY CALL?
If they call the reraise, it is a safe bet that they have a hand. However, it is also possible they have a draw. Here you'd have to size up your opponent and really think if they would have called with a weak hand. Usually, the amount of time they take to decide to call can be an indicator as to how strong their hand is: the longer they take, the more unsure they are.The safest bet is to check the turn and see how your opponent acts,if he checks, then he may well be scared and you might be able to bet again on the river (if the turn and river are favorable) and have decent fold equity

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 19:11:56 PM »
Villian 3x pre.

C/raised flop

Bet 1800 on turn

then 4k on tiver
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

maverick1

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 18:31:15 PM »