Author Topic: WCOAP Online ME bust-out hand  (Read 8355 times)

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
WCOAP Online ME bust-out hand
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »
Ok - in work v early on a Monday mornin so forgive me if ne details r a bit off - Il try and get on and get the h/h up later.  This hand is from last nites tournament.  I had been pretty active and def had an aggro image - I had triple barreled on more than a few occasions.  At this stage I had ~8700, Villain had ~17000.  Villain had been playing reasonably aggressive.  He had not defended a great deal, but played well in position.  He made a hero call a bit earlier to get his stack.  Seems a good situational reader.  Had not seen him get too out of line to this point tho.

I open utg+2 w/  9d td to 400 (blinds 80/160).  Folds round to villain in BB who flats. 

Flop comes  9c 7s :3c:

Villain checks, I bet 720.  Villain insta pops it to 2100.  We.....................................
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
Re: WCOAP Online ME bust-out hand
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 14:18:53 PM »
ahem.......bump :)

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 14:32:26 PM »
fold

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 14:37:44 PM »

fold

Reasoning w/ info? (not tht I disagree)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 15:42:03 PM »

fold

Reasoning w/ info? (not tht I disagree)

because of the title of the thread probably.

meh this is the danger of opening early with middle sc"s. He has to bluffing a load here for you to continue profitably so you really need an idea of how you are gonna react to further action when you make your bet. Villain doesn"t sound like a donk and outright bluffs are unlikely, but obv semi bluffs are well in his range.

i probably sigh/fold if i have respect for villain as being solid, he must put you on something as you opened in EP, however i sometimes check behind these spots for pot control as i hate b/f top pair. But i don"t blame you for continuing if you think you are due to get played back at.

If i was continuing i would just call the flop and get it in on a non-club safe turn card probs
Looking forward to making my first day 2

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 15:54:05 PM »
this kind of hand in early is an easy fold, too mnay people to get through and as you said youve been triple barreling on more than a few occasions

youve got a call and it seems someone has found a hand to stand against you with and id automatically put him on an overpair due to your aggresive style and seemingly wide opening range your portraying maybe AK/AQ

so really he must have a good hand to call you with maybe JJ or QQ even if you are light pre flop

i"d be checking the flop, as again youve been aggresive and active and if i did have a QQ JJ hand ,your betting it would seem ideal to check raise you with with no A or K on the board

check flop and see what transpires on the turn - either way you can still get away from it very easily

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 15:58:16 PM »

[/quote]

Im an idiot....tried to give the question w/ no clues of what I did to avoid unbiased answers :) failed w/ title

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 17:21:56 PM »

Im an idiot....tried to give the question w/ no clues of what I did to avoid unbiased answers :) failed w/ title Nuff said

FYP :D

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 22:10:08 PM »

Im an idiot....tried to give the question w/ no clues of what I did to avoid unbiased answers :) failed w/ title Nuff said

FYP :D

For once I agree with you!

this kind of hand in early is an easy fold, too mnay people to get through and as you said youve been triple barreling on more than a few occasions

youve got a call and it seems someone has found a hand to stand against you with and id automatically put him on an overpair due to your aggresive style and seemingly wide opening range your portraying maybe AK/AQ

so really he must have a good hand to call you with maybe JJ or QQ even if you are light pre flop

i"d be checking the flop, as again youve been aggresive and active and if i did have a QQ JJ hand ,your betting it would seem ideal to check raise you with with no A or K on the board

check flop and see what transpires on the turn - either way you can still get away from it very easily

If villain was aggro like marty seems to think then I"d say its likely that he"d be flatting pre with JJ+.  I would have thought that his range was pretty much sets and draws  and maybe two pairs here.  Probably more likely to be draws aswell as he prob doesn"t check raise with sets whenever he has seen marty fire a few triple barrel bluffs alrady.

I"d flat here and get it in on any non club / J / 10 / 6 / 5 turn
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 13:05:26 PM by JamieCarra »

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
He had not defended a great deal

Seems a good situational reader.

Had not seen him get too out of line to this point tho.

Villain checks, I bet 720.  Villain insta pops it to 2100

(blinds 80/160).
7500 ish back

all adds up to fold imho

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 14:29:46 PM »
Im still in 2 minds about whether folding>calling.  Its close imo.  In the end I flatted and the 2h comes on the turn and villain insta shoved.  I flatted on the flop b/cos I thot draws made up 90% of his raise and just wanted to get it in on a safe turn, and tht was about the safest there was.  He had 6c7c.  Think its close on the flop whether:

call>fold>shove
or
fold>call>shove

Dnt think ne1 wud argue tht shoving wud b the very worst option.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 16:50:06 PM »

Dnt think ne1 wud argue tht shoving wud b the very worst option.

Where"s Swinebag when you need him?
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 16:39:49 PM »
I think it was a mistake raising preflop with this hand. Having said that you had the ideal situation of playing the hand in position. Its close between firing on the flop or checking for pot control.
The arguement for checking is you dont want to play a big pot with a weak hand, but obviously its a vulnerable hand which you feel you may have wanted to protect.
His insta raise probably leans more towards a draw versus a made hand like a set (and he was drawing), but in either situation do you want to be playing for all your stack to find out? I therefore fold to the raise, because if I call, he may shove the turn and I"m folding anyway. There"s no card other than a 9 or a 10 which I"d be happy to see on the turn
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 18:04:39 PM »
Y r u auto folding the turn if u think draws r most of his range?  If he shoves all blanks u can get it in as a 2/1 favourite.  I think if we flat flop we always have to get it in on blank turns.

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 22:05:13 PM »

I think it was a mistake raising preflop with this hand. Having said that you had the ideal situation of playing the hand in position. Its close between firing on the flop or checking for pot control.
The arguement for checking is you dont want to play a big pot with a weak hand, but obviously its a vulnerable hand which you feel you may have wanted to protect.
His insta raise probably leans more towards a draw versus a made hand like a set (and he was drawing), but in either situation do you want to be playing for all your stack to find out? I therefore fold to the raise, because if I call, he may shove the turn and I"m folding anyway. There"s no card other than a 9 or a 10 which I"d be happy to see on the turn

10 is a badish turn for us