Author Topic: Online Satellites - Too many chips??  (Read 18289 times)

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
Re: Online Satellites - Too many chips??
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 22:46:09 PM »
I cant believe people are arguing about having too many chips! The structure isnt the best but reducing the chips means that we are taking away the play. These events are supposed to be the stand out from the internet norm. 

Any decision to reduce the starting stack for any one type of event would seem hypocracy and contrary to the APAT ethos we have all so readily recognised as a shining light in the poker industry.

H-Man81

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 22:51:00 PM »

I am concerned with very late finishing times, particularly on a Thursday evening.  Should we be cutting back to 3,000 chips?

Well satellites and regular tournaments do play out differently, but I assume that Monday"s game ended when it was down to 16 people, and that was about 00:41 I think... play that down to a winner you might be looking at another 90 - 120 mins.

Not having the antes does make a big difference.

When you consider that a regular tournament on BlSq is 1500 chips and 10 min blinds, I think that 3000 and 15 mins will give plenty of play... for both satellites and APAT Online Series games.

I agree with Rio as I think this allows plenty play in what is effectively quite a low stakes tournament (in monetary terms of course, the prestige and medal cannot be measured  ;)

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 07:08:20 AM »

5,000 sounds fine for the online events, and 3,000 for the online sats?

I like the sound of this, keep 5000 for the events because there is points up for grabs.

Well, the title of the thread is "Online Satellites - Too many chips??". And, incedently, that is why it was originally posted on the "APAT Championship" board. It was not a comment about the APAT "Online Series".
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 08:47:44 AM »
For the online Sats, I"m in favour of 3000 Chips and 15 min blinds. I watched for as long as I could on Monday night but it took almost 1hr for the last 5 players to be knocked out in the foldfest.

For the Thursday Events, I"m in favour of 3000 chips and an earlier start. I would vote for 7:00 if asked but even 7:30 would be more acceptable. They"re going to attract as many players if not more than the recent English Championship Satellites, and as each will be played to the end (for points and medals), a 7:00 start would be likely to finish before midnight.

Just my thoughts ...

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »
For the online satellites I think reducing it to 3000 chips sounds vaguely sensible.

As for the championship event.

My understanding was that a significant minority of people suggested that Saturday nights weren"t suitable for them in season 1, and (amongst other factors) helped launch the weekday championship event.

Overall it is difficult to get a broader picture without seeing how a number of events play out (how many runners they get, how long they last etc.) But in principle I can"t see how the weekday tournament can have a different structure to the weekend one - and I can"t see how APAt can deliberately make it a worse structure by reducing the starting chip count.

Remember - you don"t have to play every event - it"s only the top 20 results that count. So I would hope that all those who said they couldn"t play in the weekend tournament in Season 1 fill up the Thursday events, and all those who have to get up early on Fridays fill up the Saturday events.

Unless there is a complete disaster I don"t think it will be necessary to change the current format before the end of season 2. At that point APAt will have a whole years worth of statistics to analyse the impact of the current structure and make any suitable amendments for season 3.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »

For the online satellites I think reducing it to 3000 chips sounds vaguely sensible.

My understanding was that a significant minority of people suggested that Saturday nights weren"t suitable for them in season 1, and (amongst other factors) helped launch the weekday championship event.

I was one of the "minority" who suggested that Saturdays weren"t always the easiest days to play online poker as social events tend to clash with this time of the week. I"m a postie (dont mention the strike) and have to be up at 4.30am but i"m willing to go without a few hours sleep once a fortnight to play in the online series. Please keep them at 5000 chips as has already been mentioned this is partly what Apat is about, deepstack tournies at afordable buy-ins. (cant make Saturdays event due to a prior engagement).
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »

I like the sound of this, keep 5000 for the events because there is points up for grabs.

Well, the title of the thread is "Online Satellites - Too many chips??". And, incedently, that is why it was originally posted on the "APAT Championship" board. It was not a comment about the APAT "Online Series".

...I think we were agreeing with you Alan.

;D
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

texfitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »

I was one of the "minority" who suggested that Saturdays weren"t always the easiest days to play online poker as social events tend to clash with this time of the week. I"m a postie (dont mention the strike) and have to be up at 4.30am but i"m willing to go without a few hours sleep once a fortnight to play in the online series. Please keep them at 5000 chips as has already been mentioned this is partly what Apat is about, deepstack tournies at afordable buy-ins. (cant make Saturdays event due to a prior engagement).

does your union rep know you"ve been posting ?
epileptic cowboy

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »
 ;D
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 15:43:17 PM »

...I think we were agreeing with you Alan.

;D

If we were able to vote,  ??? My vote would be for the 5000 to remain for all ranking events and 3000 for satellites.

OMG I"ve just agreed with kin, what"s happening to me?  :-[

biffa85

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 20:32:23 PM »
Seconded.....
Still learn the science and practicing the art

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 20:36:22 PM »
It will be interesting to get everyone"s views after playing in one.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 20:41:28 PM »

I predict final table will start around level 22... 5 1/2 hrs play plus 20-25 mins breaks... maybe 1.30 - 2.00 am.

Good luck to those still in!!!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

duncthehat

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 20:44:28 PM »
Day off tomorrow so I dont mind a late finish

10000 chips at present
WSOP 2014 Seniors 207th - A cash at last!
WSOP 2011 Horse just off a cash :(
WSOP 2012 Horse Crap.  Stud Hi Lo 3 off money :(
3 x Horse WCOAP Final Tables
1 x Razz WCOAP Final Table
Apat Series PLO Runner up 2011
3 x APAT NLH Top 10 Finishes

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 20:44:57 PM »

I predict final table will start around level 22... 5 1/2 hrs play plus 20-25 mins breaks... maybe 1.30 - 2.00 am.

Good luck to those still in!!!

Mystic Meg. ;D

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason