Author Topic: hand from 'Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time'  (Read 2459 times)

shozboy1

• Silver Member
hand from 'Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time'
« on: January 17, 2010, 22:33:46 PM »
Would be useful for me to discuss through some hands played by internet pros written in the book by Pearjammer, rizen and apestyles...

setup: very early in a $300 weekly FO. blinds 10-20. Tourney has many sat players and lots of regulars. No reads on anyone else.
SB 2950
BB 2950
Rizen 3030
seat 4 3000
seat 5 2970
seat 6 2985
seat 7 3005
seat 8 3110
buttn  3000

Rizen picks up 9c9h. Raises to 60. Seat 5 and Seat 8 call. All others fold.

Flop 8c5s2c
Rizen bets 140 into 210. Seat 5 raises to 360 and Rizen folds....

Views...?
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Re: hand from 'Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 23:09:02 PM »
Why lose alot of chips to an overpaid from he board. It"s the early stages of a tourney and there is no point losing alot of chips early on when you don"t know were you are.

I have just finished listening to 2 podcasts (pokerroad radio with gavin smith and dennis Phillips interviewing phil hellmuth on dennis radio show)

both talked about hands they couldve got involved in but laid down as getting into a big chip pot in early stages was unnecessary

in gavin smith from this years pca he flopped middle set with position on a 789 with 2 clubs on board and after there was a bet and call he reraised. Player 1 (one if the November 9 beigleiter or buchman I think) called but the mddle player re raised smith let it go even with a set. He couldve called as he thought he was ahead but why risk his chips when he could pick up so much other dead chips

helmuths hand. Phillips talks how helmuth raises utg with qq. Bb calls and leafs out on a 8 10 J board and phil mucks his queens face up saying, I don"t know were I am in this hand and not risking the chips so early

Don"t know if I could lay any of these Down or the opening example IMO but I"m not world class pro with millions of $$$$ in the bank

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 00:03:34 AM »
Pretty standard fold,  all we can really beat is A8 and a few random flush draws which we would more than likely be flipping against anyway.

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:44 AM »
thats interesting. I wouldn"t have called it a standard fold though? Its one of the best flops that don"t contain a 9?

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:09:57 AM »
Its pretty standard.  Rizen raised from utg so he is meant to be strong.  Seat 5 raises him on the flop after he has shown this strength and with a man behind yet to act.  All he can beat is a club draw and he will not be comfortable with a lot of turns.  It wud b awful to call/call/call with given stack sizes.  3-bet/folding the flop is also not an option with all tht $$ out thr and the vast amount of draws in his range.  3-bet/stacking off sucks this early with 99.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »
cool

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 13:16:26 PM »

thats interesting. I wouldn"t have called it a standard fold though? Its one of the best flops that don"t contain a 9?

It is a good flop for us, but when we get reraised we have to seriously consider what sort of hands are raising us here?

IMO

it"s mostly sets, overpairs and NFD (with 2 over cards to our 9) and our hand doesn"t play particularly well against that range!