Author Topic: Blue Square Probs?  (Read 8712 times)

mobily

Blue Square Probs?
« on: October 11, 2007, 13:00:37 PM »
Hey all,

I am looking forward to the first online tournie tonight and hooing to add to my 2 APAT points!

However, I am a regular Blue SQ player and seem to suffer terrible problems with my hands being folded due to constant lags and timeouts. I am a virgin media customer and not sure if it is them or bluesq at fault!?

Anyone else suffer this?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Blue Square Probs?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 13:35:25 PM »
A lot of people seem to have lags on Bluesquare - my initial impression/hunch/guess was that there is something in their software which takes up more processing power then other sites and that creates some sort of lag.

I"m not entirely up on the programming behind poker sites, but iPoker does seem to always go slower on my PC than any other poker site.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 16:19:07 PM »
I"d guess it"d be a memory problem.

I never have any problems with iPoker, and i use it regularly.  My laptop has 2GB of RAM, which is obviously plenty.  If you"re using something like PokerTracker, and have far less RAM, and running other applications at the same time then I"ve seen computers hang for a few moments.  This is going to result in a disconnection or lag from the poker room.

As Jon said, maybe iPoker requires slightly more from your computer than other sites - but if your computer has enough RAM and you"re not running any memory intensive applications (graphics or video editing packages, etc.), then you should be OK.

Saying all that, watch me have problems with BlueSQ tonight...if I"m in the tournament long enough ;D.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 16:32:30 PM »
That makes sense (at least for my problems with it anyway) - I know that my desktop is severely underpowered in the RAM department.

Whenever I"m forced onto the ipoker network I do tend to try and shut everything else down to improve the performance. It does pretty much solve the problem (in that it ends up being slow, but not so slow that I end up folding or getting disconnected) but it is annoying having to go to that effort when other poker sites manage to avoid causing such problems.

2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 16:34:09 PM »
Get some RAM.  It"s not expensive and the difference is VERY noticeable.

How much memory do you actually have (or have you forgotten)?

gulibert n2

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 16:44:15 PM »
Poker sites in general are such a  small an application ( except PKR ) for your computer to run the ram that you have really should not be a problem.

It is much more likely to be the internet provider that you are subscribed to and whether or not you are using wireless internet.
Many people play there poker at peak internet times ie. - 7-10pm which is when most internet providers are already struggling with demand on there systems. Put this together with the poker site you are using hitting there peak aswell at this time and  i believe that is the most probable reason for any glitches we may be suffering.

Knocking background software off will help at your end ( for your connection speed ) but if your provider tops out, so to speak problems will persist.

As for Ipoker, yes i agree with the occasional problem there but it is definatley getting better than when they first merged the sites.

later   :as:

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 16:51:27 PM »

No, I"m just too embarrassed to say.

The problem is that I figure if I"m going to upgrade it, I might as well go straight to the maximum possible - 4Gig - and that doesn"t quite fit into my budget just yet. It is definitely on the cards though.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 17:02:06 PM »

No, I"m just too embarrassed to say.

The problem is that I figure if I"m going to upgrade it, I might as well go straight to the maximum possible - 4Gig - and that doesn"t quite fit into my budget just yet. It is definitely on the cards though.

If you have 512KB, and are running a poker client and pokertracker, then yes, you will struggle.  

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 18:55:56 PM »
If you"re looking at upgrading RAM and don"t mind buying online, go to www.crucial.com/uk and run their Scan My System feature. It will tell you what you currently have, will tell you what your motherboard can handle and will give you recommendations and prices of the best upgrades available. I use it all the time to buy RAM for clients. Folk are starting to bin their 256MB and 512MB PCs in frustration when £40 for 1GB RAM can be all they need to turn it into a speedy system again.

If your XP / Vista PC is fully up to date with Windows Updates, runs Internet Security software (hopefully not the crap and power-hungry Norton), and you want to run poker tracker software, I"d recommend you run at least 1.5GB.

Also, wired connections are more reliable than wireless. Wireless can experience delays and frequent connection difficulties (I don"t even play wirelessly on my highest-spec laptop).

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 19:09:28 PM »
What he said.  

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 19:43:33 PM »

If you"re looking at upgrading RAM and don"t mind buying online, go to www.crucial.com/uk and run their Scan My System feature. It will tell you what you currently have, will tell you what your motherboard can handle and will give you recommendations and prices of the best upgrades available...

Done it, done it for work as well (that had the advantage that I wasn"t paying).

I"m going to get around to it eventually - but when I do I figure I might as well go the whole hog and go for the maximum I can rather than upgrade and then upgrade again later.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 20:28:11 PM »
If you"re planning on upgrading to 4GB, upgrade to 2GB now, and the slots will still be there in the future.

Doesn"t that make more sense?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 20:54:55 PM »

If you"re planning on upgrading to 4GB, upgrade to 2GB now, and the slots will still be there in the future.

I"m a very busy person - do you really think I have time to upgrade my PC twice?
;D
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 20:58:10 PM »

I"m a very busy person - do you really think I have time to upgrade my PC twice?
;D

Sigh.

You"d save yourself loads of time by upgrading to 2GB!

DJKebab

• Bronze Member
  • Whatcha gonna do, brother??!!
    • Blair Kirkland
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 21:14:23 PM »
I have to agree with Kin, plus if your PC is old enough that is has less than a gig in there then the mobo may not even take 4 gig. XP with 2 gig and a decent CPU should perform very well indeed. Less so Vista...