Author Topic: Omaha Cash Hand  (Read 6318 times)

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Omaha Cash Hand
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:32:04 AM »
Not much omaha on this board and its a game i want to improve in, just wondering if my play in this spot is too loose. Not including which suited cards Djian has, his hand is pretty easily defined as aces (havent seen any players make this raise at micro stakes with anything but) so what do i do?

Questions

If i expect the pot to be three way whats my best play? Fold/Call/Shove

Does it change what you would do if there wasnt another player involved?

Dealt to hiamchris [8c Jh 5c 7h]
bt1hurricane posts the small blind of $0.05
Aces4sMooN posts the big blind of $0.10
Djian1000 raises to $0.35.
hiamchris raises to $1.20.
keljam folds.
bt1hurricane calls $1.15.
Aces4sMooN folds.
Djian1000 raises to $4.90

Djian has me covered (17.69), i have my initial 10 dollars and hurricane has 3.31 including his small blind

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Omaha Cash Hand
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:43:25 AM »
thought process when you 3bet an UTG raise from UTG+1 pre?

surely you have some sort of plan when you decide to do this with a mediocre hand
Looking forward to making my first day 2

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:15:49 AM »
I"d flat call in the hope to hitting a straight with your hand

but re raise - not for me. Heads up I"d re pot it if I"m position. But with players behind your raise is a hiding to nothing.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »
Whilst you state that the V"s hand is defined as Aces (and you are probably right) I see no value in the re-raise after he"s already raised.

You want to see a flop as cheaply as possible to see if your plan (you do have a plan don"t you?) works. You"re going to need to flop two pair or a decent straight draw to be in a position to beat his Aces.

I discount the flushing nature of your hand as it"s quite likely that any flush draw you might have will be counterfeited by one of the others.

I"d sum it up by saying "Yes", you played it very loose. I"ll play your hand as long as I"m in position and can do so cheaply enough but not aggressively (as you did) until I have something to be aggressive with.

Otherwise, just fold it pre-flop.

Omaha is a drawing game which all happens post flop. Getting into a raising war pre-flop is a road to ruin.

Oh, and post flop, it"s about drawing to the nuts, especially multi-way.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
reraised to mix things up, same as you would in six max holdem, aiming to play a flop heads up against one opponent (obviously short stack gets involved) in position with the lead in the hand, obviously plan scuppered but what do u do now in this spot, obviously in holdem with pretty much any hand you dont have the odds to flat if you know he has aces (although thats harder to know in holdem) but what about here? is it a mistake to fold when his hand is face up and we have a hand that plays well against aces? as i was asking is it a fold because of the short stack which will reduce your chances of winning the hand? If it was heads up with the original raiser is it a fold now or do we have enough equity in the hand against aces that it would be a mistake to fold?

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »
btw just a small note, the table is 5 handed not 6 handed

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 20:16:33 PM »

reraised to mix things up, same as you would in six max holdem

This is where a lot of newer Omaha players make a mistake...Omaha isn"t Hold'em. There is a darn sight more post-flop play in Omaha than HE...hence that"s why you don"t generally re-raise once you have a decent read. Let them make the mistakes and then take advantage when they don"t improve and you do.

If he has Aces (or Kings) as suspected he practically has to pot any flop regardless as a c-bet. If you miss, you get away cheap, if you don"t you re-pot and punish him.

what do u do now in this spot,.... is it a mistake to fold when his hand is face up and we have a hand that plays well against aces?

First off, I disagree that we have a hand that plays well against Aces...it MIGHT if we flop big but at the moment it"s a "pretty hand"...and they"ll break you most of the time.

In this spot..well, he"s re-raised and so I"m going with my plan which is to flat call and see the flop. Yes, I/you could have flatted his 0.35c but that"s gone now. So continue with the plan from here.

[EDIT]

Just re-read the stack sizes and given that, I"m changing the options...you can"t flat call as you are pot committed if you do. So, it"s shove or fold. Me, I"m too conservative to have re-popped him pre-flop but ho-hum...what to do?

Me, I give it up but if you are a gamblooor..just get it in now and reload if beaten.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 20:29:09 PM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 21:57:17 PM »
Fold pre flop

Omaha is so different to hold em. Peel more 3 bet less... esp in cash.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 00:38:07 AM »
cheers for the replys

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 13:06:40 PM »
3betting is good in some spots but not UTG+1 to an UTG raiser
Looking forward to making my first day 2

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 23:56:57 PM »
looking at this hand id like to know when and where u fancy PLO heads up? :)

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 00:23:37 AM »
funny cos i posted it on cardrunners and hastings said the hand was standard and its a standard call, go figure, what does he know ey?

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:30:16 AM »
If I was in the bb I"d probably call to see if I could hit big but to cold 3 bet with no seemingly nut draws I wouldn"t do it. With the 4 bet it"s an easy fold

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 15:10:12 PM »
Std call, really?

I dont hate the 3bet vs utg as some people have suggested, your more often than not going to limit players to the flop and if you hit any kind of combo flop that out draws a paired holding then youve grown the pot accordingly in adv but not so big as your commited when you miss. Thats limit game for you; flatting pre isnt often the optimum line because waiting to only raising on heavy hit flops often results in weaker hands folding anyway. In addition, having bought position, you may well have bought a cheap turn from passive players eager to see how you play at the flop.

I still cant figure precisely why a pot commiting call would be std here, I mean you only have 3 cards walking in the same direction and both the straight and flush draws are likely non-nut and certainly likely to be behind any std combo of overcard holdings?

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 20:18:29 PM »
Once you have been re-raised you could have just called or folded, ( leaning more to the fold ) as said so so cards but pre-flop just too much to call so a fold for me I think??
BUT what do I know LOL ;D