Author Topic: S4 Online National League 1 - Matchday 2  (Read 24462 times)

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
Re: S4 Online National League 1 - Matchday 2
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
Well said Mark. I agree with all your comments, although I think there is room to tweak the structure slightly. :)

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »

Here"s my two-penneth worth:

1) Betfair - seems OK.  Missing a few features that other sites carry, but on the whole will do the job.  I only use for the APAT games anyway.
2) Online league game structure - seems about right.  I agree with Leigh's comment - midnight finish is late enough for those players who have an early start on Monday.  I thought the FT would be a shove fest, but it was far from it in Div 3"s game.3) Standard of players - mixed, as at any tournament, WSOP, EPT, GUKPT, WPT included.  These complaints about poor opposition, bingo, and all the rest of it exists on every poker site and at every tournament.  If you cannot adjust your play to beat the poorer players (over the long-term) then you are a poor player yourself.  Sucking out is part of the game.  Variance is a bitch and is also part of the game.  Surely, those who have played online for any length of time know that by now.  I couldn"t win a pub game for the first couple of months when I started one up a couple of years ago despite having years of experience on nearly all the players.  Then I adjusted my play to suit the opposition and found I was the No 1 cashing player over 2 years.
4) APAT Community - In the Div 3 game, whilst my opening table was a little quiet earlier on, the banter soon followed.  If you are unhappy with the level of banter, why not look to whip it up yourself?

Finally, I have been observing the APAT for over a year now and have finally found time to get involved.  I am, and always have been, very impressed with their offering.  As someone who is involved in a local poker community, promoting and hosting events, I know how difficult it can be to get it right for everyone.  I also know how players can be worse than a knitting circle  when they get together and bitch about everything they can find (stich and bitch).

Constructive criticisim is absolutely valuable.  But unconstructie criticism is damaging and causes a lot of work to overcome.  I would say be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  And remember that you are only one customer and that not absolutely everything will suit you, but must appeal to the many.

- I would prefer not to be on Betfair, but it will do. 
- I am fairly happy with the structure and see sense in the 12pm finish. 
- I like banter, so I instigate it.  I go out of my way to find out who is playing for who and I get on with the wisecracks. 
- I want more players to join Carlisle Poker Club, so I am recuriting amongst my friends on facebook and from my local poker club.  I am also contacting them on match day via APAT and supporting them by railing them.

Are you contributing to the continued shaping of this succesful poker club or are you simply bemoaning your bad luck at getting sucked out on?  Look at what you have to offer APAT as well as what they have to offer you.  I am sure that all players have a great contribution to make.

Cheers

Mark.

Couldn"t agree more..structure was fine with a midnight finish on a Sunday.

As for the bingo/fish/ I"m better than you posts in this thread...

As it is over a 10 match period, then surely the so called "bad" players will not proceed with the vast amount of luck  ::) they clearly had in beating the " better" players. 

I"m always under the impression you want the calls when your ahead, and if you keep getting it in good, then it"ll work in the end - you"ll get more points, your team will succeed etc, etc.

It"s 10 games..it will go against you at some point!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 14:12:12 PM »
Structure this week was much improved and I managed to stay at the table long enough to get a feel for the tournament and to enjoy my time in it.
Wasn"t happy with my exit but I guess if you"re chip leader or close to it then raising with  7h 8h from SB and calling the BB"s all in is ok. I had K 10 I think - he made a straight on the river... I win the next one of those, probably.

One thing puzzled me - a couple of players made it clear that they felt that internet poker (or net sh*te as they described it) wasn"t as random as live poker is. Surely we all know that the "internet poker is rigged" argument is over?

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 14:38:56 PM »
The blind structure was too quick the first week,,,seemed much better last night,,,bound to be a few adjustments needed with a new site,,,well done apat/betfair for adjusting so promptly,,,,,the betfair software probably does need tweaking but at least i can stay connected,which i couldnt last year,,,,i think once we all get used to it we will agree that it was a great move,,,,,,now all i need is some cards !!!!!  lol

Lankylad

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 15:47:32 PM »

Guys,

Your views on why you think these games aren"t at the standard you would want, would be gratefully appreciated.

We are always listening to feedback, it"s easy to criticise, but we want to improve the games, so need the input from players.

Cheers,

Leigh

It was a lot more improved this week and a much better game. Being able to actually play and having time to observe the table and other players will make it better for the more skilled and they will come out on top over the ten week period, no matter how many suck outs there are in between. I think some people just come on here after being knocked out and let off steam.

For me the icing on the cake would be the inclusion of two extra blind levels in the earlier stages. The early stage blinds as they are now is -

10/20
15/30
25/50
50/100
75/150
100/200
150/300

I would like to maybe see a 20/40 and a 30/60 (or even a 35/70) included in that so it would be as follows -

10/20
15/30
20/40
25/50
30/60
50/100
75/150

This would add a literal time of 26 mins with the inclusion of those two new levels, but wouldn"t have a massive overall effect on the finishing time. It also wouldn"t affect the blinds before or after the two new levels. This as i said would be a lovely addition, but isn"t necessarily needed as i think it"s pretty close to being as good as it can get structure wise now, neither being a crapshoot or a tedious long drawn out game!

Just an idea  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 15:57:06 PM by Lankylad »
"When you're at the poker table and in a situation where you feel like it's stupid - where you feel you're jeopardising something you don't need to - it probably is stupid. So every time you feel like you're going to do something stupid, don't do it!" - Daniel Negreanu

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 16:00:44 PM »
20k s/s imo:

1/2
2/4
3/6
4/8
4/8/1
5/10/1
6/12/2
7/14/2
8/16/2
9/18/3
10/20/3..........

and so on.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Lankylad

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 16:07:22 PM »

20k s/s imo:

1/2
2/4
3/6
4/8
4/8/1
5/10/1
6/12/2
7/14/2
8/16/2
9/18/3
10/20/3..........

and so on.

Nah i"m sorry but that"s just overkill. Those blinds would add to the finishing time... a lot! 11 levels ups and you"re only at 100/200 blinds? Even with the ante that"s still really slow, and with 2500 starting chips you"re looking at a five-and-a-half to six hour tourney. (They"re lasting about four hours now)
"When you're at the poker table and in a situation where you feel like it's stupid - where you feel you're jeopardising something you don't need to - it probably is stupid. So every time you feel like you're going to do something stupid, don't do it!" - Daniel Negreanu

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 16:15:25 PM »

Take last weeks league game for example. I got table moved and got dealt QQ 2nd hand in to the new table. After standard raising, the bb (well known "previous winner" character, just shoved allin for something like 40bb with Ace rag), not content with that, he had the audacity to accuse me of slowrolling when i eventually called (after just 5 or 6 seconds) and showed the queens.
I mean wtf? I was new to the table, with no reads at all, had a good but very beatable hand and was calling a massive overbet all in for my tournament life with absolutely nothing to gain from "slowrolling" as he had already stupidly fully committed himself.
To receive such unfounded gibes from a supposedly experienced community member is just not on. It will bring down the great spirit that I thought the APAT stood for. 

That sounds familiar - think it may have been my exit hand, and given the nature of the comments, I just wanted to set the record straight (if it"s not my hand, I"ll pull my nose out and shut up).

I didn"t shove 40xBB with ace rag - I shoved UTG for 7xBB with a a medium pair..... the guy with QQ (who had a stack of 30+ BBs) took an age to call, letting the clock time right down almost to zero before calling. Yes I suggested this was a slowroll.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 16:16:56 PM by AMRN »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 16:34:46 PM »

20k s/s imo:

1/2
2/4
3/6
4/8
4/8/1
5/10/1
6/12/2
7/14/2
8/16/2
9/18/3
10/20/3..........

and so on.

Nah i"m sorry but that"s just overkill. Those blinds would add to the finishing time... a lot! 11 levels ups and you"re only at 100/200 blinds? Even with the ante that"s still really slow, and with 2500 starting chips you"re looking at a five-and-a-half to six hour tourney. (They"re lasting about four hours now)

...wow

Y o y is there not a sarcasm font :)
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Lankylad

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 16:39:26 PM »

20k s/s imo:

1/2
2/4
3/6
4/8
4/8/1
5/10/1
6/12/2
7/14/2
8/16/2
9/18/3
10/20/3..........

and so on.

...wow

Y o y is there not a sarcasm font :)

Haha, well i though you were serious and meant -

10/20
20/40
30/60
40/80
50/100

etc etc. Sarcasm often doesn"t work in text  :P

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 17:13:40 PM »

Take last weeks league game for example. I got table moved and got dealt QQ 2nd hand in to the new table. After standard raising, the bb (well known "previous winner" character, just shoved allin for something like 40bb with Ace rag), not content with that, he had the audacity to accuse me of slowrolling when i eventually called (after just 5 or 6 seconds) and showed the queens.
I mean wtf? I was new to the table, with no reads at all, had a good but very beatable hand and was calling a massive overbet all in for my tournament life with absolutely nothing to gain from "slowrolling" as he had already stupidly fully committed himself.
To receive such unfounded gibes from a supposedly experienced community member is just not on. It will bring down the great spirit that I thought the APAT stood for. 

That sounds familiar - think it may have been my exit hand, and given the nature of the comments, I just wanted to set the record straight (if it"s not my hand, I"ll pull my nose out and shut up).

I didn"t shove 40xBB with ace rag - I shoved UTG for 7xBB with a a medium pair..... the guy with QQ (who had a stack of 30+ BBs) took an age to call, letting the clock time right down almost to zero before calling. Yes I suggested this was a slowroll.

As I witnessed this hand I can confirm that Steve"s play was terrible.

(However, the facts were as he states - 7BB late in the tournament with 77, called by QQ after a long think).
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

EnglandBart

• Bronze Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 18:26:42 PM »
And still people just dont get it. They"re flaming me and arguing exactly the same point as me.. wtf?

It"s not about that hand, its about the attitude of members.

Well I want no further part of it, I"ve unregd my Swansea seat and will have nothing more to do with this once great forum.

I apologise to Des, Leigh & crew, who retain my utmost respect & best wishes, as do the guys from Solent.

Everyone else can just fk off like the self-centred ego-tisic twats you are.

Farewell

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost"

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 18:29:53 PM »
C ya Bart, shame I never got to know ya.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 18:32:41 PM »
Sounds like a slowroll. It"s very hard to make those funny, though sometimes worth the effort.

EnglandBart

• Bronze Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 18:33:19 PM »

C ya Bart, shame I never got to know ya.

Likewise my friend, good luck to you & take care.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost"