Author Topic: Odds help please.  (Read 3371 times)

zzBlizzardzz

• Silver Member
Odds help please.
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »
Let me set the scene a little. I was tilted a bit at a tournament yesterday. I had J8 in the Big Blind and pretty much felt I was being run over a bit. Anyway, the flop comes J-9-3 Rainbow. I bet out a pretty signifigant part of my stack to cut off any draw hands. I get re-raised by someone who could have been doing it with a wide range of hands. So, being a bit frustrated I push all in. I get a call, they flip over J-9, showing 2 pair. I flip over my J8 and wait for the turn and river so I can get outta here, Turn 8, River 8..Full House baby, holy crap, is this the worst bad beat in history, and what are the odds of it happening. I have been told I was 0.0276% to win after the flop. Is this right and what exactly are the odds on it??? Thanks guys, Im sure Ill get a load of answers and maybe a bit of abuse...hey, you give them and you take them...thats poker baby..
Team Canada Captain 2010 Silver Medalists

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Odds help please.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
You were about 5% to win after the flop I think.

I suspect the person who put you at worse than that failed to see that as well as the runner runner house, there were different runner runner straights that you could have made

EDIT not that you would ever be as bad they said anyway
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
You are about 3.5% to win the pot on that flop.

Basically, you needed to hit 88 for the fullhouse, or QT, T7 for the straight.

You are about 3% to split the pot as AA, KK, QQ, TT, 33 are all good for you in this spot.

evilpie

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 13:14:20 PM »

You are about 3% to split the pot as AA, KK, QQ, TT, 33 are all good for you in this spot.

You missed J 9 for another split.

Please get it right.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 13:41:42 PM »
Your hand reminds me of Pat O"Callaghan"s famous one in the APAT European Team Championship
A5 v AK. Flop AKx. At which point Pat apologised in advance "Sorry about this" - Turn 5 River 5.

At 3.5%, it"s not so rare. What you needed was for someone else to show a folded 8, which would mean you have to hit 2 cards out of 2, instead of 2 out of 3, reducing your chances of winning to 0.1%, the worst beat possible, though there are still some chances of a split - which is exactly the beat I put on Raggy Maggie in a home game - A7 v AK. Flop AKx. Folded 72 shown. Turn 7 River 7. Never in doubt.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 14:06:59 PM »

You missed J 9 for another split.

Please get it right.

You are quite right, and that is why you play poker, and I count chips of people playing poker.   ;D

evilpie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 15:32:41 PM »

Your hand reminds me of Pat O"Callaghan"s famous one in the APAT European Team Championship
A5 v AK. Flop AKx. At which point Pat apologised in advance "Sorry about this" - Turn 5 River 5.

At 3.5%, it"s not so rare. What you needed was for someone else to show a folded 8, which would mean you have to hit 2 cards out of 2, instead of 2 out of 3, reducing your chances of winning to 0.1%, the worst beat possible, though there are still some chances of a split - which is exactly the beat I put on Raggy Maggie in a home game - A7 v AK. Flop AKx. Folded 72 shown. Turn 7 River 7. Never in doubt.

Removing one of the 8"s wouldn"t actually make that much difference. There"s still plenty of straight combos that can get there if you take all of the 8"s out.

For the worst possible beat see the following:

ah kh  vs  7h 6h

Board  

8h 9h th

Requires 2 specific cards and only those 2 exact cards. This can only occur 1 time out of the 990 possible combinations of cards and is a 0.1% shot.

baldaceguy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 17:27:28 PM »
I remember this in a wsop event a few years ago   ac kh v 8s 8h all in board ad ks kd 8d 8c ouch

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 19:25:31 PM »

oh the memories....