Author Topic: APAT events in Europe  (Read 22561 times)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: APAT events in Europe
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2010, 15:33:54 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 15:36:05 PM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 15:47:01 PM »
Highlights:

Tighty watching umpteen hours of 4 asian ladies playing Mahjong and throwing out the occasional "Well Played!" comment or "Misdeal" when a tile went on the floor.

Taxi driver who"ll check that you are at the right sort of "club" for you.

Lady at the "wrong" sort of establishment.."You go to the strip club and the come back and f*ck the ladies, Yes?"...We declined*.

Unknown German punk band on the car radio to the CCC...Phil in the back "I haven"t heard this one for ages". Paulie loses it in the front seat.

Sunday comp...Ger and Don in the final 27...oh and Phil was still in too much to everyone"s amazement...and they all go on to cash.

I continue my run-bad with AQ twice again....sometimes you gotta just laugh.

Ger confusing the valet staff after explaining that Paulie (me) was the "Boss" or sometimes "Papa_D", someone was the "Uncle", another was the "Grandpa", another was "Robin Hood". I guess you just had to be there.

*AFAIK. I"m a good boy.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 16:23:01 PM »

..And Vegas next year......Are we thinking late March by any chance?

JP.. its as if you could read my mind  ;D
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 16:25:26 PM »
Bloody hell, good read this.

..One thing that always gets me is there is a gang of players who regulary travel from the North East to events, always laughing, smiling and having a good time and there are also regular players from Scotland and Ireland they never complain about locations and they have the most travelling to do.

Its mainly laughing at Stu"s beard to be fair :)

Screw you!

As mentioned there (Sensible post by WASP shoccker btw) There ARE a lot of us who do a fair bit of travelling in the UK, and we love every second of it, it is a weekend away with the lads and we love it. We are all planning on getting to Estonia and cant wait for it.

APAT abroad does us absolutely no damage at all so i dont see why people would be opposed to it?

It just strikes me as being cliquey tbh.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 23:12:20 PM »
Well I have to say that I am surprised by lots of the replies to my original post but at least it shows we care !

If we are talking about branching out then.....and I have mentioned this to the "powers" behind APAT last year, though only briefly......how would everyone feel if APAT were to organise a poker cruise ?

Having been on one with Ladbrokes, believe me they are a fantastic experience incorporating poker and sunshine.....a GREAT combination !

It"s just an idea, but what does everyone think ?  Would it get the support if it could be incorporated into the schedule ?
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 00:19:17 AM »

For most of us, getting away for a weekend when you have a family can be difficult, but we can do it for events that don"t cost the Earth. This trip however would have cost the best part of £350-£400 before a card had been dealt or a 9-euro bottle of beer been purchased. How can you justify that for a £75 tournament ? You would have to make the Final Table to break even.

and now you want a cruise!!.. ;) :o
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 00:30:49 AM »

how would everyone feel if APAT were to organise a poker cruise ?

If it leaves from UK...  Flying to Miami to get on a cruise, and then fly home is just too much like hard work.
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:42 AM »

If it leaves from UK...  Flying to Miami to get on a cruise, and then fly home is just too much like hard work.

Somewhere like Holyhead - Careful you don"t slip on those two birds lying on the deck.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 09:28:01 AM »

Somewhere like Holyhead - Careful you don"t slip on those two birds lying on the deck.

Liverpool or Birkenhead would obviously be much better once they finish the new Cruiser Liner Terminal.  But why would Leigh organise anything other than Southampton..!  hehe..

Some bird keeps crapping on my car while it is parked on my drive.  Wait until I get her..!!
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.

zzBlizzardzz

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »
Poker Cruise. 100% behind that. Great idea. Well up gor that!!
Team Canada Captain 2010 Silver Medalists

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 15:57:46 PM »
poker cruise FTW

I suggest the WCOAP is played on it. That way it will truly be a global event.

Top idea Brian!!

Could be costly, but would be epic!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 16:45:21 PM »
Sigh..what might start as the Finnish Amateur Poker Championship on day one, completes as the Icelandic Amateur Poker Championship on day 2.  Think of the engraving....

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2010, 18:37:54 PM »
I have had better weekends, but that was purely down to feeling  a little under the weather.
The company, from UK and Europe alike was terrific. Yes we bent more towards our own regs, they are friends after all so who wouldn"t support their friends? The German speaking Austrians were very friendly and accomodating towards us.
The card room and staff were very much to my liking, as were the tourney structures, dealers etc. The experience and learning curve of playing against players with a very different culture and playing styles was for me invaluable and perhaps something i will be able to draw from in the future.
Winning a package, although not completely covering all costs,was for me a big plus towards going to Vienna or not. This was my first tournament abroad and i liked it. I liked it a lot, and i would endevour to make more in the future. Obviously like most other people that will depend on money and work allowance. I think the move into Europe is a good thing, i am not speaking from a personal point of view. If i never make another foreign poker trip will not change the fact that this is a good thing, and i will always have my memories of this recent weekend away with all the uk players and APAT staff all mixing with the local players and staff, the Atmosphere genuinely was one of very high and friendly spirit. I can"t say it"s the same as a uk APAT event, but all my Apat weekends away have all been different, even the two in Dublin, same card room, same abode and same pub(Larry Murphy"s) were very different from one another.?? as the two in Edinburgh have differed from each other.
So i think to summarize as stated, as long as the UK events are not affected, ie reduced or have less sponsorship because the same pot has to be divided equally among more venues, then all is well.
Streaming has been reorted to me by friends and family as a wonderful and enjoyable tool. I too on return home have looked for a history which was less than normal, due to less input on the thread. There too was a little void that i could not watch some of the interviews, which i have been told were fun and amusing. Speaking to Tighty and Leigh they have and are continually making adjustments on the fly as the season rolls on to accomodate everyones wishes but within the constraints of the budget and manpower available.
Perhaps more Apater"s who find themselves on the rail could offer there own services to help, thereby freeing the resources for a better quality in whatever it is you would like to see improved.

Anyway my head hurts............ :-[

Great idea for a cruise Brian, imagine the atmosphere yes a captive audience right to the very end.

Cheers hope to see you soon, wherever it may be.

Paul :)
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011