Author Topic: thoughts please.....  (Read 9507 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: thoughts please.....
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »

Another point re stack sizes.  Can we really take this into account at this stage - early on and most are all on about 1500?  Can understand if someone was heavily stacked or short but as we were about the same and you only start with 1500 each. 

Stack size is everything!!  don"t consider stack size in relation to other players though, although this is of course a factor in some decisions.... you should consider stack size in relation to the BB.... and the fact is that you have only 35xBB and are verging on short. The very nature of these STTs is that everyone is short from the start.

When playing short stacked, flat calling is generally the worst possible option in most scenarios. At 35xBB in a STT, imo your only viable options are fold or raise (and it"s not far away from being fold or shove)

Consider playing these SNG STTs (especially turbos) without touching the call button (other than calling a shove of course) - in a STT SNG if a hand is good enough to call with, it should be good enough to raise with..... and if not, just fold.  These games are all about having enough chips at the shove/fold stage to retain a good degree of fold equity..... don"t think of STT SNGs in the same way as you would think of cash or normal tournament poker - completely different animal.

pokernuts07

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »

Another point re stack sizes.  Can we really take this into account at this stage - early on and most are all on about 1500?  Can understand if someone was heavily stacked or short but as we were about the same and you only start with 1500 each. 

Stack size is everything!!  don"t consider stack size in relation to other players though, although this is of course a factor in some decisions.... you should consider stack size in relation to the BB.... and the fact is that you have only 35xBB and are verging on short. The very nature of these STTs is that everyone is short from the start.

When playing short stacked, flat calling is generally the worst possible option in most scenarios. At 35xBB in a STT, imo your only viable options are fold or raise (and it"s not far away from being fold or shove)

Consider playing these SNG STTs (especially turbos) without touching the call button (other than calling a shove of course) - in a STT SNG if a hand is good enough to call with, it should be good enough to raise with..... and if not, just fold.  These games are all about having enough chips at the shove/fold stage to retain a good degree of fold equity..... don"t think of STT SNGs in the same way as you would think of cash or normal tournament poker - completely different animal.

Some interesting points!  These SNGS are really the only poker I play online at the moment and have built most of my BR from them so think my game is better geared to this format than MTT"s.  I do play them but really struggling at the moment and my track record is not good.  Don"t touch cash.

SNGS are my baby though, especially 6 handed on PKR!  Like I said I would normally shove the flop there but tilting and needed some advice on the call on the flop/odds etc.....

Cheers

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 12:41:18 PM »
great overall advice steve. I agree in that I would fold preflop here. Out of interest, how wwould others have played this in a tourney? I would have flat called from the BB also in that situation and either called or raised the flop
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 13:14:18 PM »
I dont play many 6 man STTs, but from my full ring background this is a standard fold preflop. There are not many flops that help you out here and you may be dominated with flops that hit. Chip preservation is the order of the day in STTs.

Given this is a 6 max STT, then squeezing here may be the superior play but calling and playing the hand OOP is my last option here.

As played, I dont like the call on the flop, your overs may not be outs so you are not really getting the odds here, but then again I hate playing any drawing hand in STTs as the implied odds rarely make it profitable. I think I go fold > CRAI > call here.

As played on the flop the call on the turn is fine as its only 120 into a 1080 pot and given that bet size, K hi might be good now.
javascript:void(0);
Your line in the hand would have been fine on all streets if this was a deeper stacked MTT, but I think the overall mistake is that you are trying to play poker here when this is not poker, but an STT (just play top 5% early levels then push bot at later levels)
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 13:21:47 PM »
prolly call HU in position but less keen multiway unless soooooted
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 13:28:38 PM »

I think I go fold > CRAI > call here.

I actually think I go really different to this.  I think i go:

crai>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>call>fold

If we call pre, folding this flop shouldn"t really be in our agenda.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 13:33:51 PM »

under the "dont compound one mistake with another" agenda. I"d agree normally, but feel that there isn"t enough FE here as well as the overs possibly not being outs, so still a fold for me
Rob, you are a genius.

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 13:54:07 PM »

I agree villian bet small on the turn. But it"s your 280 to win 960. 3/1 on 1 street to come should still be enough to make you fold your straight draw. That said I"d gave called also.

Even if you hit your overcard, you dont know if one pair is good.

folding the flop would be ridiculous with OESD and two overs. You played it fine because of opponents terrible/weak betsizing but against some opponents i would probably just raise/get it in on flop with stacks this shallow.

Forget what I said. Made a complete balls of the pot size

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 14:52:13 PM »

under the "dont compound one mistake with another" agenda. I"d agree normally, but feel that there isn"t enough FE here as well as the overs possibly not being outs, so still a fold for me

I understand what u mean, but at this stage there is 680 in the pot and we have only have 1280 behind.  There are def reasons for both folding and shoving, but I think shoving pros are pretty strong:

-It is a 6max sng which means we only really shoot for 1st in a top heavy pay structure. 
-We can have as many as 14 outs, and almost always have a minimum of 8. 
-There is also the chance we have the best hand against a weaker draw. 
-I also think we def have some f/e and dnt think villain goes b/c all the time w/ 2nd pair type hands. 
-1 more massively important point............we always have the Qc!!!

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 16:16:13 PM »
I"m swayed, and mainly due to this

-It is a 6max sng which means we only really shoot for 1st in a top heavy pay structure. 

Rob, you are a genius.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 16:50:34 PM »

I"m swayed, and mainly due to this

I"m not. Still think preflop fold>shove>raise>call      

whilst we might think "It is a 6max sng which means we only really shoot for 1st in a top heavy pay structure", any decent players out there will think the same, and realise that there Ax could well be good against a very obvious squeeze play, and make the call leaving us needing to hit in a 40/60 spot.  Would much prefer to fold, preserve chips, and look to find stronger spots.

Because of the above, I would prefer to shove A9/AT/AJ type hands rather than KQ....  we are highly likely to be called, and usually by a raggy Ace that is ahead.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 16:57:25 PM »
No arguments from me about fold>shove>raise>call being a good line for p/f - esp w/ utg limper.

Was not an argument to call pre, it was an arguement that on the flop shove>>call>fold

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 16:58:52 PM »

Was not an argument to call pre, it was an arguement that on the flop shove>>call>fold

OK agree with that.....

.....but I would never have seen the flop :)

(actually, on the flop, shove>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>call, and fold doesn"t exist)

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 22:33:18 PM »

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 22:34:38 PM »

OK agree with that.....

.....but I would never have seen the flop :) agree

(actually, on the flop, shove>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>call, and fold doesn"t exist)