Author Topic: S4 ENGLAND - WCOAP Team Championships  (Read 49622 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: ENGLAND - WCOAP Team Championships
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 17:27:40 PM »

Yeh Steve put your application back in so Brian can overlook it and drop you :D

genius!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 17:58:42 PM »
No don"t reconsider Steve, more chance for us fish  ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 18:19:21 PM »

Yeh Steve put your application back in so Brian can overlook it and drop you :D

Yer big tart!

That"s him told.

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 18:30:31 PM »
Good to know that people have such strong opinions on this subject !

I am not going to say too much yet, but I will say this.
I know that I run the BCPC and that you all know that too but I would never let my position in that organisation influence any of my choices relating to my position of England Captain.

Having said that it has given me the chance to view first hand some very good poker players of which I class Steve Redfern as one.

I decided on my selection process early on and Steve Redfern was one of the applicants. Steve is a member of the BCPC, as are certain other people who have applied to play in the team.

I didn"t tell ANY of these people to apply. They applied because they believe they are good enough to be in the team.

If I believe they are good enough then I will choose them and if anyone thinks I have chosen them because I know them then please feel free to say so on here. I won"t take offence (I am pretty thick-skinned ) and we are all entitled to our opinion. Even if yours would be wrong.

Let me just quote you a few facts here.....

"In last year"s team event I was undefeated on the first day, winning all of my STTs and HU games, and then ended up after two days as one of the top scoring players overall"

"I was part of the champion APAT team in January 2010, and of the 8 man team, was one of the 3 who contributed the points".

"I am around $10k in profit since March"

"I am passionate about my poker beyond measure, am equally passionate about England, and suspect I"m one of those most passionate about APAT. Pulling on the England shirt last year was up there with the birth of my kids etc - and I desperately want the chance to repeat".

" I have a sponsorship deal playing SNGs, which is where I am best profitable"

I wont tell you who this is. But does this sound like a player you want in your team......especially at a tournament that has a mix of SNG"s and Heads-Up matches ?

Whoever it is, he has put forward a strong case for selection, wouldn"t you say ?

He wont know for around 10 days if he has been picked as I will announce my team starting on MONDAY AUGUST 2ND and announce 1 player per day thereafter.

And it will be a team that I believe will be good enough to win the Tournament.

COME ON ENGLAND !!
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 19:07:53 PM »

I will announce my team starting on MONDAY AUGUST 2ND and announce 1 player per day thereafter.

I like your style Sir...but can you do me a favour please?

Announce them in BLOCK CAPITALS. ;D
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 20:09:29 PM »
Great to see the responses. FWIW they don"t change my opinion, but I accept I"m in the minority (of 1 as far as I can tell lol).

Firstly I thought MintTrav"s suggestion of an England B team made sense, whatever his motivations for suggestion were (being Irish for one and a consumate wind-up merchant to boot). However, things can only change if people show their support, which is what I was trying to do. Nobody agrees so end of.

Secondly I thought that there was merit in the suggestion that to limit appearances would allow more quality players their chance, with such a big pool to choose from. Of course I risked offending the four players from last year but it was just a suggestion, not a jibe at the four players themselves. Any such rule introduced is going to hinder someone, but that shouldn"t be a reason to not make the suggestion (or voice the opinion).

Thirdly, for the record, I"ve got no axe to grind myself as I haven"t applied for the team nor did I apply last year (when my results show a good reason to be picked then I"m sure I will apply). My motivation was purely one of getting more of our quality players involved.

I completely accept that there"s no appetite for change and as such I"m stunned that Steve withdrew his application. So I too urge him to resubmit on the basis that the choice is down to Brian, and we all know that Brian is man enough to make his own decisions. Friendship won"t come into it.

COME ON ENGLAND!
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 20:30:30 PM »

Good to know that people have such strong opinions on this subject !

I am not going to say too much yet, but I will say this.
I know that I run the BCPC and that you all know that too but I would never let my position in that organisation influence any of my choices relating to my position of England Captain.

Having said that it has given me the chance to view first hand some very good poker players of which I class Steve Redfern as one.

I decided on my selection process early on and Steve Redfern was one of the applicants. Steve is a member of the BCPC, as are certain other people who have applied to play in the team.

I didn"t tell ANY of these people to apply. They applied because they believe they are good enough to be in the team.

If I believe they are good enough then I will choose them and if anyone thinks I have chosen them because I know them then please feel free to say so on here. I won"t take offence (I am pretty thick-skinned ) and we are all entitled to our opinion. Even if yours would be wrong.

Let me just quote you a few facts here.....

"In last year"s team event I was undefeated on the first day, winning all of my STTs and HU games, and then ended up after two days as one of the top scoring players overall"

"I was part of the champion APAT team in January 2010, and of the 8 man team, was one of the 3 who contributed the points".

"I am around $10k in profit since March"

"I am passionate about my poker beyond measure, am equally passionate about England, and suspect I"m one of those most passionate about APAT. Pulling on the England shirt last year was up there with the birth of my kids etc - and I desperately want the chance to repeat".

" I have a sponsorship deal playing SNGs, which is where I am best profitable"

I wont tell you who this is. But does this sound like a player you want in your team......especially at a tournament that has a mix of SNG"s and Heads-Up matches ?

Whoever it is, he has put forward a strong case for selection, wouldn"t you say ?

He wont know for around 10 days if he has been picked as I will announce my team starting on MONDAY AUGUST 2ND and announce 1 player per day thereafter.

And it will be a team that I believe will be good enough to win the Tournament.

COME ON ENGLAND !!

Oh go on then pick Steve, he can play a bit! :D
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 21:20:04 PM »
Pick me for positive discrimination/affirmative action reasons.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 21:20:54 PM »
The above is of course a joke. Not putting myself forward this year because don"t think I"ve done enough APAT wise to be considered. However......

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 23:54:55 PM »

The above is of course a joke. Not putting myself forward this year because I"m crap at HU

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

FYP ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »

The above is of course a joke. Not putting myself forward this year because I"m crap at HU

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

FYP ;D ;D ;D

This too. I am ****e heads up but good at binking

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 01:30:49 AM »

Firstly I thought MintTrav"s suggestion of an England B team made sense, whatever his motivations for suggestion were.

Oh, has it caused some disharmony? Sorry about that - I wouldn"t wish to disrupt your preparations. Just thought I"d lob in a sparkler to see what happened, but didn"t imagine it would set off the fireworks box. Result! Let"s hope the tournament goes just as well.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 11:52:09 AM »

Firstly I thought MintTrav"s suggestion of an England B team made sense, whatever his motivations for suggestion were.

Oh, has it caused some disharmony? Sorry about that - I wouldn"t wish to disrupt your preparations. Just thought I"d lob in a sparkler to see what happened, but didn"t imagine it would set off the fireworks box. Result! Let"s hope the tournament goes just as well.

I think the Irish team could do with some fresh faces............................  :D ;D :P
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 13:08:39 PM »
i"m not applying as i don"t have any APAT form but surely anything other than picking people on current merit is just plain wrong, irrespective of whether they have been in the team for the last x number of years.

a captain has been picked and surely it is his responsibility to make the choices and leave it at that.

oh and come on England
Looking forward to making my first day 2

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 17:11:12 PM »
Have not put my name forward as I am rubbish, but I would like to say

COME ON ENGLAND