Author Topic: S4 ENGLAND - WCOAP Team Championships  (Read 49551 times)

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
Re: ENGLAND - WCOAP Team Championships
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2010, 21:09:07 PM »
Not to me it isn"t John.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Ant1966

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2010, 21:39:52 PM »
Really Bri?

I wasn"t going to ask anyone as I wanted team players who wanted to be there.

There"s plenty of us out here that would love to be there and who consider themselves team players. However, our results have to back up our application,per your initial request,, and so to some extent I think many people de-selected themselves on that basis. So you really shouldn"t be surprised at the lack of entries, please don"t assume that it is a lack of enthusiasm for the team.

^This^

Have to agree with Andy here.You possibly took too many people out of the equation with a results orientated selection criteria.Most of the other obvious reasons hols/work/cost/logistics were movable objects with an England call up.

You had to have your own criteria for selection,captain"s perogotive,and fully understand a respect that,however, limiting your selection pool massively then being suprised at such few applicants,suprised me tbh.

"That's when you know your'e running bad,when Ant one outers you on the river". Brendan Byrne-Dublin 2010.

linziwan

• Silver Member
  • UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2010, 00:12:53 AM »
Sorry I missed the boat on this one but I thought selection criteria was to be "results" based and as I have only played one live event this year I didn"t think my results merited me applying to be selected for the team. I"m sorry to hear only 9 people put their names forward. Having been the acting captain in the first year I can definitely say it is an honour and fun to play for your country.

So for next year I am definitely putting my name forward either to play for the team or to act as captain, always willing to help in anyway I can. But I"m hoping that next year more people will get the chance to represent their country. Its an opportunity that few people ever get the chance to do and an honour when given the chance to do so.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 00:21:19 AM by linziwan »
UK Ladies Open Poker Champion
APAT WCOAP Online Heads Up Champion 2011

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2010, 02:10:34 AM »
Top Side, Well done Brian!!

I fully expect the title to be kept on home soil by the time I touch down in a few weeks time.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Pears27

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2010, 21:16:26 PM »
I can see how pre-qualifying applications by looking at results reduces the field captains have to choose from. Trouble is, the risk of not doing that is that you could easily see the same team being picked every year. If there"s no results element to the selection, how can captains show they"ve been objective in how they"ve picked the team?

But I would say that wouldn"t I...

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2010, 21:55:44 PM »

I can see how pre-qualifying applications by looking at results reduces the field captains have to choose from. Trouble is, the risk of not doing that is that you could easily see the same team being picked every year. If there"s no results element to the selection, how can captains show they"ve been objective in how they"ve picked the team?

But I would say that wouldn"t I...

You"ve missed the point. Brian seems baffled as to why he got so few applicants. Nobody is saying that making it results based was wrong - that"s his perogative as captain. But making it results based was the reason he got a few rather than a load of applicants. He would probably have ended up with the same team either way - this way at least he had fewer people to say no to!

Good luck in the team we"ll all be cheering you on.

COME ON ENGLAND!
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

Pears27

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2010, 22:35:24 PM »
No, I do understand the point. I was just picking up on the earlier "took too many people out of the equation with a results orientated selection criteria" point (not yours, I know). I just think it"s better than the alternative.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2010, 22:47:04 PM »
It should of been the best players who applied, simple as that. That is the only way you have the best chance of winning. I think brian did a good job of the team.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2010, 10:49:28 AM »

Let me just quote you a few facts here.....

"In last year"s team event I was undefeated on the first day, winning all of my STTs and HU games, and then ended up after two days as one of the top scoring players overall"

"I was part of the champion APAT team in January 2010, and of the 8 man team, was one of the 3 who contributed the points".

"I am around $10k in profit since March"

"I am passionate about my poker beyond measure, am equally passionate about England, and suspect I"m one of those most passionate about APAT. Pulling on the England shirt last year was up there with the birth of my kids etc - and I desperately want the chance to repeat".

" I have a sponsorship deal playing SNGs, which is where I am best profitable"

I wont tell you who this is. But does this sound like a player you want in your team......especially at a tournament that has a mix of SNG"s and Heads-Up matches ?

Whoever it is, he has put forward a strong case for selection, wouldn"t you say ?

You never told us whose application this is from, Brian.

There are only three possibilities, so I"ve been trying to work it out - was it Blatch?
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2010, 13:52:06 PM »
Seems to me everyone is agreeing,,,selection has to be based on results and those who have not faired well of late or are not available  have not applied.I think the hardest job is picking the team,,,some good players out there !!!
COME ON ENGLAND !!!

pokerjoeyd

« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2010, 03:45:19 AM »
1. Joe Drummy
2. 2 Years playing online for a living.
3. I played my first live event this year ukipt brighton and finished day1a chip leader and went on to cash for £1.7k,i have over 35k profit on pokerstars,i recently chopped the 20^3 for 16k and last night took 2nd in 11r for 9.7k.
4. Solid player who will put maximum effort to help england WIN.

ty gl

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »

1. Joe Drummy
3. I played my first live event this year ukipt brighton and finished day1a chip leader and went on to cash for £1.7k,i have over 35k profit on pokerstars,i recently chopped the 20^3 for 16k and last night took 2nd in 11r for 9.7k.

ty gl

The team"s been selected Joe and you would appear to be inelligible anyway if you make your living from playing.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2010, 13:02:50 PM »

1. Joe Drummy

ty gl

The team"s been selected Joe and you would appear to be inelligible anyway if you don"t live in the midlands.

FYP   :P

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2010, 14:16:07 PM »

1. Joe Drummy

ty gl

The team"s been selected Joe and you would appear to be inelligible anyway if you don"t live in the midlands.

Tony Trippier won 6 dollars tother nite BCPC player , bronze medalist    ,,,, end of
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2010, 14:22:10 PM »

1. Joe Drummy

ty gl

Tony Trippier won 6 dollars tother nite BCPC player , bronze medalist    ,,,, end of

How did you not get selected ?