Author Topic: Flopped set - live cash game  (Read 14517 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Flopped set - live cash game
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 13:35:36 PM »
i"m lost for words
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 13:49:54 PM »

i"m lost for words

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^

I obviously don"t want him to fold but I dont want to give him the correct odds on calling but it"s a cash game and not a tourney. In a tourney I want to be getting it all but in cash this is immediately a 30bb pot and adding around 30% to my stack (if we started at 100bb). I"ll take that every time I flop a set to see a constant profit!

U know he started w/ 77x?  U know we have a set? U know we crush his range? You know we shud be aiming to maximise profit?

This thread made me cry...then laugh...then cry.............................................................then laugh.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 13:58:21 PM »
IMO the raise on the flop is giving the villain  right around the correct odds to at least call   Had villain just called then hit his flush then it"s a bad play!

If hero starts with 77bb and can take a 30bb pot down there and then it is adding about 40% to his stack. That"s a significant profit in my eyes

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 14:04:32 PM »

IMO the raise on the flop is giving the villain  right around the correct odds to at least call   Had villain just called then hit his flush then it"s a bad play!

If hero starts with 77bb and can take a 30bb pot down there and then it is adding about 40% to his stack. That"s a significant profit in my eyes

150x pot>>>>>>>>>>30x pot......

You know we can reload if he gets there?  Are you serious that you would rather him fold to pick up a "constant" 30x?  Surely this is another level?  You know we are a 3/1 favourite right?  You know he has 99+ a lot of the time and has 2 outs to the win?  Not getting it in here is ridiculous!  Raising an amount that allows villain to fold dominated hands is even more ridiculous!
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 15:16:56 PM »

150x pot>>>>>>>>>>30x pot......

You know we can reload if he gets there?  Are you serious that you would rather him fold to pick up a "constant" 30x?  Surely this is another level?  You know we are a 3/1 favourite right?  You know he has 99+ a lot of the time and has 2 outs to the win?  Not getting it in here is ridiculous!  Raising an amount that allows villain to fold dominated hands is even more ridiculous!

Are you laughing or crying ! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 15:54:36 PM »

I obviously don"t want him to fold but I dont want to give him the correct odds on calling but it"s a cash game and not a tourney. In a tourney I want to be getting it all but in cash this is immediately a 30bb pot and adding around 30% to my stack (if we started at 100bb). I"ll take that every time I flop a set to see a constant profit!

In a cash game with 100xBBs or less I want to get my stack in with a flopped set as quickly as I can - as that will give me the highest constant profit.  Early in a deep-stack tournament I might be looking to control the pot.

If the flop had been three clubs I still don"t think I"m going anywhere in this hand with the effective stack sizes.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 17:25:28 PM »

shanks we can assume villain is inexperienced by Daves reads plus his bet sizing pre oop with limpers.. So what are his likely hands, over pairs or 2 high cards to a flush draw are way behind a set here , a set against this range is 85%+ to win so raising so large is pointless unless u think villain will not let go of over pairs or flush draws..
Dave you played it fine by calling his push, even if u put over sets in villains range u would be 75%+ to win , the reraise size is debatable with the effective stacks and pot size but i cant be arsed to add up lol  :) [please put in pot sizes and stacks sizes when u post, this helps getting better answers, especially with the 2 behind you to act, did u have any reads on them?]

For this sort of level of play generally just raise when u are ahead or lead for value , these sort of opponents just play there hands and can rarely fold what they perceive to be strong..
Brush up on your equitys against ranges [it gets easier the more u review and discuss via forums/friends etc] and u cant go far wrong if u bet or reraise flops when u have decent equity , likewise 4th and 5th street..

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 18:45:14 PM »
I don"t think the hero did anything wrong here.

But rememeber it"s just not the SB villian in the hand. There was 2 other callers into the pot. Even if standardly the SB has an over pair to this board, we don"t want to let any of the other 2 into the pot.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 18:53:06 PM »
U played it fine. If anything I raise less to induce.

Everything else is results orientated nonsense. You"re not really deep enough "to peel one off"
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Newportlad

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 19:11:58 PM »

I don"t play cash much, forgetting the flop, this is pre, but tbh utg 10 handed, yeah you have limped in for £1 but when it is raised to £6 and there are 3 to act after you, I cant see im calling £5 raise with 22.  You say you are happy to see the flop limped for £1, why call the £5 raise with 22?

It"s a perfect spot to call with 22, as the other two limpers are unlikely to re-raise, and if they do it"ll be a significant bet and you can then fold having only invested 6xBBs.

The reason we play 22 is to set mine, and this flop is what we wanted.  The fact it"s been raised pre-flop is even better, as that enables us to get our whole stack in easier, rather than trying to build the pot over the streets. 

If you can get 77xBBs in on this flop - that"s a +EV move and exactly where you want to be.  You lose the hand, just shrug and reload.

THIS +1
APAT Ireland 2008 Champion
APAT European 2010 Runner-Up
6 Final Tables
Captain of Team Cardiff. Online Southern Division Winners 2009
Team Cymru 2008
Team Cymru 2009
Team Cymru 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 19:29:17 PM »

I don"t think the hero did anything wrong here.

But rememeber it"s just not the SB villian in the hand. There was 2 other callers into the pot. Even if standardly the SB has an over pair to this board, we don"t want to let any of the other 2 into the pot.

shank stove it please, a set here is around 65% equity 4way even if the 2 behind brain fart and shove/call oesd"s or inside str8s with a flush draw etc , if they have a over set then heyho at this level.. You dont want to reraise so much as to drive them out but do it enough to let them make a mistake, even if the 2 behind went all in i"d quite welcome it :)

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 19:52:36 PM »
OK guys if you"re the oppo here what would you have done post flop with his hand? Is he a donk or was this just one of those times where the money goes in? Perhaps you do what he did against some but peel one off against others? Interested to hear thoughts.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 21:39:44 PM »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 21:42:45 PM by kinboshi »

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 00:40:40 AM »

OK guys if you"re the oppo here what would you have done post flop with his hand? Is he a donk or was this just one of those times where the money goes in? Perhaps you do what he did against some but peel one off against others? Interested to hear thoughts.

For a start, I hate his stack of 77xBBs.  It"s a horrible amount that makes it difficult to play through the streets, and awkward when you"re trying to size your bets.  Either sit down with 100xBBs+, or play a short-stack if that"s your game.  Sitting with something inbetween makes everything more difficult - including getting the maximum return when you do hit.

I don"t particularly like the raise OOP with  kc tc to £6 (even if they are green).  Once he gets the three callers there"s now £24 in the middle and he leads out for £8.  Not sure what that"s meant to achieve as he"s giving the others the right price to call to hit and the opportunity for people to raise if they"re ahead.  I"d prefer the check call rather than the wimpy donk lead.

Now the UTG player who limp called has re-raised to £30, and I have to shove or fold.  Calling isn"t an option with my stack size, and I want to see two more cards not just the turn (not that I could fold it, but if I do turn the club I don"t want to lose any action - again, with the stack sizes as they are it"s inevitable it"s all going in if they have an over pair, a set or even a flush draw of their own). 

When I hit my flush I realise that I got lucky, so it"s probably best to compliment the other player on his skills to distract everyone"s attention to that.  Then I look for my butler and order Jeeves to get me another drink...

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »

For a start, I hate his stack of 77xBBs.  It"s a horrible amount that makes it difficult to play through the streets, and awkward when you"re trying to size your bets.  Either sit down with 100xBBs+, or play a short-stack if that"s your game.  Sitting with something inbetween makes everything more difficult - including getting the maximum return when you do hit.

I don"t particularly like the raise OOP with  kc tc to £6 (even if they are green).  Once he gets the three callers there"s now £24 in the middle and he leads out for £8.  Not sure what that"s meant to achieve as he"s giving the others the right price to call to hit and the opportunity for people to raise if they"re ahead.  I"d prefer the check call rather than the wimpy donk lead.

Now the UTG player who limp called has re-raised to £30, and I have to shove or fold.  Calling isn"t an option with my stack size, and I want to see two more cards not just the turn (not that I could fold it, but if I do turn the club I don"t want to lose any action - again, with the stack sizes as they are it"s inevitable it"s all going in if they have an over pair, a set or even a flush draw of their own). 

When I hit my flush I realise that I got lucky, so it"s probably best to compliment the other player on his skills to distract everyone"s attention to that.  Then I look for my butler and order Jeeves to get me another drink...

Aha, but I was putting myself in the villain"s shoes.  I never berate anyone at the table.  Firstly, it serves to achieve nothing positive (if fact, often the opposite), and secondly they"ve paid to play the tournament or sit down at a cash game and they can do what they want with their chips (as long as they don"t break the rules).