Author Topic: APAt Has lost it  (Read 33949 times)

EvelcyclopS

• DUPS Chair
    • My facebook
APAt Has lost it
« on: November 08, 2007, 20:46:37 PM »
Iv played a few APAt"s last year on stars, and i very much enjoyed the quality tournament.

This year, i dont know what has happened, perhaos the lower buy in, or lack of a membership fee, has prompteda decline in the quality of these games.

I dont want to start ripping on the standards of the people playing, but i just think theres a world of difference between the tight agressive players of last year, with the ridiculosuly fishy standards i see now. its not something short of what i"d expect down at my local bingo hall

I dont reallyhave much to do with this forum,so i dont know if what i"m saying here hasbindun, but i thought i"d just add my 2 cents.

i dont want to be lambasted for this post, i really appreciate what des (dunno if its still him) does, and what he"s set out to do, but for me, it is on the wrong side of amateur. I am proud of my scottish open win, but i"d be less proud if i won one of these events...
Scottish Open gold '07

www.dundeepoker.com

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: APAt Has lost it
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 20:59:51 PM »
I think a lot of the play has improved.  People are mixing their game up a lot more - and moving away from ABC poker.

Of course, there are still some poorer players, some who are probably new to poker.  But surely you want to welcome these people to the game, pull them up a chair, and pillage their chips?
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

janc

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 21:05:22 PM »
Nothing to do with you being out 184th  then!! :)
Form is temporary, but class is permanent

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 21:06:12 PM »
Agree that players seem to be mixing up their game. With deepstacks as well people seem willing to call hoping to hit that miracle hand.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

ashb1983

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 21:08:31 PM »
deepstack poker give people the opportunity to play in a range they wouldnt normally. frustating it can be. But as long as you are statistically giving people the right odds to pay to see miracle cards you"ll get a positive return :-)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 21:10:37 PM »
I"m still crap though.

;D

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 21:13:42 PM »
Didn"t see you name on the player list tonight Dan?
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

EvelcyclopS

• DUPS Chair
    • My facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 21:15:35 PM »
To be honest, ive played 3 this year now, and theres so many on a table at once it becomes so displeasurable. i may just be on a bad run of cards, but it seems every fall of card goes the wrong way.

i really dont think the play has improved, calling a rereraise for most of your stack on a flush draw with no other outs for example, is not mixing it up, but suicide. By rights yes, your right, this wont normally happen, and in a cash game, it would be no problem, as you rebuy, and wait for the 3 out of 4 times he"ll lose. only its a freezout, and the guy that has just played the worst poker, as just crippled you, and theres another APAt gamethats goneby the starboard side. I know you"ll just say, well thats poker, and i agree, but its a shame that where there used to be a really decent tournament you could rely on for an ejoyable game, has turned into yet another MTT like the rest of $10 games online. Thats my point really.
My first post was written when i was still inthe tournament, and had been considering making a similar post last week. And in answer to your question janc, yes of course it is because i went out in 184th, pretty ridiculous question really, allthough i would stil have the same opinion had i finished first and met the same players.
Scottish Open gold '07

www.dundeepoker.com

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 21:38:33 PM »

Didn"t see you name on the player list tonight Dan?

Yep - still playing.  Just...

Fatbloke

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 22:00:40 PM »
Sorry to say i have now played in 3 tournaments on the new blue square site and after last years enjoyable matches, i have decided to withdraw from the remaining on line games due to the constant poor connection found.  After trying numerous different things to try and keep the play running smoothly the fun has gone out of it now and you end up playing stupid hands and losing. 

Bad beats always happen and you learn to live with them but when you can"t play cards due to the site playing up it gets too annoying and your just end up throwing money away.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 22:36:07 PM »
I haven"t had any problems at all this evening.  Can I ask some questions that might help diagnose the problem:

1.  How much RAM does your computer have?
2.  Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?
3.  What other software have you got running at the same time as BlueSQ?

You"re not the only one to suffer from issues with the software.  The others who"ve struggled with it have often only had 512KB of memory (or even less). 

It could also be an issue with your ISP, but that"s more difficult to pin down.

Did anyone else have a problem tonight?

Fatbloke

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 22:57:32 PM »
Computers fine and works ok on everything else.  Even had Dell out to check it the other week.  Currently have over 1 GB of space and only poker site i had on was blue square.  Nothing else on apart from usual computer things, but other players had the same problems (making comments in chat box). 
Fun elements gone im afraid, perhaps its the poker gods telling me to give up for a while !!
Had no other software running at the time and ISP is all done through BT.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 23:14:24 PM »
How much memory have you got on it?

Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" - it will tell you at the bottom of the that box.

Ascot

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 23:15:48 PM »
APAT hasn"t lost it - fair play to you Des, you"ve put together a helluva schedule this year - but there are ALWAYS problems on the iPoker network - whether you play on Bluesquare, Betfred, or any of the others. They generally start off by blaming your ISP - Tiscali and Orange are cited as the worst because of the way they handle and balance the network traffic. But I have successfully got a refund of buyin out of Betfred when my connection (to them) went - no problem with my internet connection which was where they pointed the finger first, because I was quite happily able to access their website while unable to connect to their servers. You also get a lot of mini "freezes" - you call/raise (with a cracking hand, naturally :)) the call/raise action appears in the chat box, followed by the fact that you folded. Call/raise and fold at the same time? Clever, huh.

I"ve also been body-swerving iPoker due to the call-with-anything-i"m-bound-to-hit brigade, because they do, too often for it to be statistically justified. Pocket 8"s always seem to get trips (twice against me tonight as it happens, not that i"m bitter :-[), and the number of four flushes on the board giving your opponent his unbelievable out against your monster just crack you up. Was seeing a hell of a lot of flops with 2 2 2 or 10 10 10 before I retired to a safe distance too .....

As they say, just because I"m paranoid doesn"t mean everyone ISN"T out to get me ....

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 23:20:00 PM »
Not being funny, but why doesn"t everyone have these problems?  The iPoker software seems to be very heavily memory intensive - far more so than other poker rooms.