Author Topic: S4 WCOAP - Stud Event  (Read 29744 times)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: WCOAP - Stud Event
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2010, 18:46:35 PM »
If DTD have run this before with the same structure (stack/blinds/clock) then it"s a fair bet that it"s not bad.

More chips is nearly always better.

My gripe (if I may) is that this event was announced as a Stud event with no other detail. I questioned what type of stud at the time but the answer didn"t come for some time.

Announce an event with no (apparent) decision as to game variant and/or structure? WTF?....Head scratcher that one.

OK, I understand that the announced stack (6000) was based on pot linit 7CS which, I think we can safely say, would have been a total shove fest and over in no time.

So...going forward, let"s see how this goes and hope that it goes OK. If not, then lesson learned for S5.

I"ll try and lean on Tighty to lean on Mr Trumper to boost the starting stack....Yeah, like that will happen!

Frankly, I would dump Stud for PLO8...but that"s just the way I roll...baby! ;D
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2010, 20:30:36 PM »
Nah, it makes sense to have a Stud Variant rather than 2 Omahahahahahahahaha side events. Pity we don"t have a draw game as well - PL Badugi anybody?
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

redsimon

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2010, 22:06:31 PM »
How is the ante going to work?

Seems to say ante 25 bring in 25-50 level 50-100 etc. Is it one ante posted by a revolving button rather than all 8 players?

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2010, 23:02:07 PM »

Seems to say ante 25 bring in 25-50 level 50-100 etc. Is it one ante posted by a revolving button rather than all 8 players?

All 8 players post the ante

Lowest card after flop brings in

3rd and 4th street is the lowest level/limit and then on the highest

Players with an open pair on 4th street can bet the highest limit

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:56 AM »

Are you playing the Stud ?
  Deepstack champion S2  

redsimon

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2010, 06:19:53 AM »

Are you playing the Stud ?

Well I"ve bought a seat but the structure Richard has confirmed might make it an interesting situation! :)

So 8 players all post 25 so 200 in pot. Low card brings in theres 225 in pot.. anyone not got odds to call?

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »

[
So 8 players all post 25 so 200 in pot. Low card brings in theres 225 in pot.. anyone not got odds to call?

Ahhh...you have noted the beauty of Stud..it"s not about the odds like that, seriously.

Stud is all about not chasing even though you might think you have the odds. It"s about seeing what cards have already gone and NOT calling that single bet on the end even though your odds might be great.

Far too many people chase their supposed draws in Stud without paying attention to what others might have. Are you really chasing your gutshot straight even though you have only a 5% chance of hitting when the other guy is showing 3 or 4 cards to a flush?

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »
Either way, if we"re all posting antes every hand, by the third level enjoy the fun of having 10 big bets.

Please, Tighty, make it 6k, so we get some play in the game.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »

[

Ahhh...you have noted the beauty of Stud..it"s not about the odds like that, seriously.

Stud is all about not chasing even though you might think you have the odds. It"s about seeing what cards have already gone and NOT calling that single bet on the end even though your odds might be great.

Far too many people chase their supposed draws in Stud without paying attention to what others might have. Are you really chasing your gutshot straight even though you have only a 5% chance of hitting when the other guy is showing 3 or 4 cards to a flush?

You beat me to it....

Please can I have Redsimon on my table ??

KTHX
  Deepstack champion S2  

redsimon

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2010, 13:25:52 PM »
No other Stud Tourny I have played, including WSOP, Orleans Open, Austrian Masters etc has such a ante heavy structure.

Guess the successful (26 runners, including those famous Norweigans Tony Kendall, Sam Trickett and Chinese Frankie) 2008 Norweigan structure must not have caught on  ???

I will of course adjust, but can"t see this ending well  :D

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2010, 13:28:58 PM »
The Norwegian event was 3000 chips, 30 minute clock

We are going with Simon Trumper"s recommendation. Feel free to take it up with him/us when you get here!

redsimon

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2010, 16:06:40 PM »

[

You beat me to it....

Please can I have Redsimon on my table ??

KTHX

first player out bainn...

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2010, 19:09:16 PM »
Here"s  the thing...I"m out by the way, thanks for asking....it"s been running for 4 hours plus and we"re only down to 1/2 the field.

It"s arguable that there is much play left but it hasn"t been the car crash poker that was, perhaps, being prophesied.

Do I think that 6000 would have been better?...Of course, but you aren"t going to please everyone all the time. Could the structure be tweaked to improve it? Perhaps...(and I"ll have a think on that one) but, so far, I"ll chalk this one up as a result for APAT, regardless of my finish.

2c.

Paulie.

furnesspoker

• Silver Member
  • Furness Poker Den
    • UK Poker Forum
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »
I had my initial reservations about the structure but it was a great event, to be honest 4000 was plenty of chips and as the blinds and antes increased I don"t think the extra 2k would have made much difference, I would also like to add the dealers did a terrific job on all the tables I was present, maybe next year you could add a 5 card stud event as well :)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
I do think the structure can be improved upon....add more chips but increase the completion/BB sizes from the start

25 ante/bring in and 50/100 is just silly IMHO.

25/50 and 150/300 is arguably better (and somewhat more logical) and gives "proper" play but it does need a lot more chips to work.

Add to that the lack of...ahem...proper play..did make the first few levels somewhat of a crapshoot...it wasn"t until level 6 or 7 that the blind sizes were large enough to give people pause in calling with cr*p...but by then there were only around 200 BB spread amongst 20 or so players.

However, the competing interests of the venue wanting to run the event as quickly as possible vs. APAT wanting to showcase an extremely well structured event vs. a small player base is always going to be a hard one to balance.

Other issues also worked against a longer/better structure...3 APAT events on the same day, 2 DTD tourneys and cash games besides.

Understand, I"m not criticizing APAT, they have a lot on their plate in putting this lot on for us every year...and it"s not often you can event find a live Stud tourney anywhere so anything is better than nothing.

Stud I like (and like to think I can play..results aside  ;D) but I don"t see myself entering next year if things remain the same.

PLO8 now...FTW in S5.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:03:38 AM by Paulie_D »