Author Topic: COD  (Read 8903 times)

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
Re: COD
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 21:19:53 PM »

In my day, we had a white dot that moved from one side of the screen to the other that we had to intercept with "bats" - vertical white bars.

We thought that was fantastic.

Grandad, now signing off...  ::)

I had the posh model. 4 games in 1.

tennis was one, as you describe and I remember one other that was squash where the bars were horizontal instead.

Was that the one with the tank game... That was mega!!!! ::)
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 21:23:53 PM »
Atari Games -

PACMAN (My brother was awesome at it, like be on it for hours)

RIVER-RAID (I unofficially hold the world record for this - long story for another day!)
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 21:26:52 PM »

My son"s got delivered today I"ve never seen him run so fast to the car after school.  He is COD daft.

Out of interest how old is your son? You know it has a BBFC rating of 18

Kids play these games to ESCAPE the real world violence and cursing...IF COD is rated 18..what on earth is the school playgrounded rated these days!??   ::)
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 21:29:02 PM »

I loved Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum.

Todays games are a world apart from the stuff we had in the 70"s and 80"s - Amanda"s lad, Jonathan, has had me playing Modern Warfare 2, and I knew not what the hell was going on....

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 21:56:06 PM »

Would you let your son watch nightmare on elm st or Texas chainsaw massacre?

Their both 18 certificates

They may be rated 18 but cod is in no way anywhere near these 2 things u have chosen as an example.

COD does not appear18 and the blood and gore does not scare him at all, but he loves it, he doesnt go out to play much as he has a disability which a lot of the time prevents him from playing outside and can leave him on bed rest for days on end, and if it makes him happy and I see no change in his behaviour due to it then I see no harm in him playing it.
Mary Kivlin

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 22:12:27 PM »
Don"t rise to it Mary, you"re his mum. Nuff said.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 22:40:08 PM »
Sorry. Bad examples

Would you let him watch war movies such as platoon or apocalypse now with extreme violence, causalities of war which has gang rape or full metal jacket with suicide

IMO i wouldn"t let my kids anywhere near this type of game until at least 15+. Call me a miserable old bugger but certificates are there for a reason.

I"ve played and enjoyed these games for the last 15 years and I believe that even though they"re not damaging or can evoke violent actions or emotions I still believe it"s not right for younger gamers to play these types of games

I once had a full blown argument in GAME when I saw a woman buy her 10 or 12 ish year son GTA vice city on realease day. I asked her if she knew that the game she bought her 10yr old boy was an 18 and she said - Ach it"s only a game. I then said - "well in that game your young boy can steal a car and then pay a prostitute for sex then murder her with a claw hammer! Would you let him watch a movie like that?"

She then shouted at me that it was none of my business (which it wasn"t) but I know I"d never let my kids experience that type of game before their the right age

josharp01

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 22:55:19 PM »

Sorry. Bad examples

IMO i wouldn"t let my kids anywhere near this type of game until at least 15+. Call me a miserable old bugger but certificates are there for a reason.

I think you"ve hit the nail on the head there...opinion! Surely it is up to each and every individual parent to decide what is and is not suitable for their children. All kids are different and some will play those types of games twice and go on a violence rampage, others will play them from a young age and not be affected. I can safely say that I am sure Mary has enough intelligence to judge whether or not her son is affected by these games!!
2013 WCOAP Razz Champion "Jangle Jangle" :)

Proud Captain of Scotland "A" team-Home Int Champs 2012 :)

Captain of S6 East of England Team :)
APAT UK Online Champion 2011
Proud member of former Team Luton :D
NinjaJoJo on APAT Poker

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 23:15:46 PM »
I neither doubt or cast judgement on Marys  intelligence or her parenting skills. I"m sure she knows what her son is involved with and experiencing

But 10 is too young, in my opinion only, to be playing an 18 cert game and I"m pretty sure she wouldnt want her son watching 18 cert movies. Alot of the time, Video games get glossed over by parents and guardians as many think it"s just a game and what harm can it do.

Sorry if I come across pedantic and preachy, I don"t mean to. And as I said I"m certainly not besmarching Marys parenting habits or skills

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 00:34:01 AM »

I neither doubt or cast judgement on Marys  intelligence or her parenting skills. I"m sure she knows what her son is involved with and experiencing

But 10 is too young, in my opinion only, to be playing an 18 cert game and I"m pretty sure she wouldnt want her son watching 18 cert movies. Alot of the time, Video games get glossed over by parents and guardians as many think it"s just a game and what harm can it do.

Sorry if I come across pedantic and preachy, I don"t mean to. And as I said I"m certainly not besmarching Marys parenting habits or skills

Apparently that is after all what u r doing, solely seeking to continue to lecture me.  I have no further opinion on the matter, I know my own son
Mary Kivlin

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 00:35:08 AM »
Oh and fwiw, I would never let my son play gta, there is a huge diff between that and COD
Mary Kivlin

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 00:36:13 AM »

Don"t rise to it Mary, you"re his mum. Nuff said.

Thanks hun
Mary Kivlin

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 00:36:28 AM »
IMO there is no reason this should be an 18+ game anyway. Yes there is shooting computer generated people, and a little bit of blood, but there is no real gore at all.

To compare it to games like GTA or anyting of the sort is not righ in my opinion. There is no way a 10 year old is going to go and grab a gun and start rampaging after playing this game without underlying roblems.

ANd as Mary says, it is probably a good thing in this situation anyway. She is in contorl by the sounds of things (i know, you said you acknowledge this :) )

on a side notek, my PSN name is foghorn0leghorn and i will probably be on it from 4pm til some time friday morning if anyone wants a game :D
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

MAIR

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 01:21:16 AM »
Im gonna buy a PS3 for myself from kids for christmas (little indulgence I never spend my poker winnings on meself usually the kids n family), I used to play COD when it first came out on the PC was in clans lol was pretty good for a gal, but since taking up poker I stopped, I fancy playing it again lol and also its got a blueray player so its a good excuse to get one.
Mary Kivlin

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 01:36:40 AM »

I loved Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum.

Todays games are a world apart from the stuff we had in the 70"s and 80"s - Amanda"s lad, Jonathan, has had me playing Modern Warfare 2, and I knew not what the hell was going on....

I was awesome at Jet Set willy  ;D
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030