Author Topic: APAT Season 5: Discussion  (Read 276529 times)

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
Re: S5 - APAT Season 5 - Discussion
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2010, 21:05:59 PM »

Bump up the buy in to £100. (Jon, you are such a nit ;D)

Have you noticed the drop off in demand this season?

If the buy in goes up to £100 I"d expect to see UK based national events not selling out

Or other people might be attracted to the bigger prize pool

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2010, 21:11:54 PM »

If the buy in goes up to £100 I"d expect to see UK based national events not selling out

My prediction - it won"t

Judgement call though
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2010, 21:42:18 PM »

My prediction - it won"t

Judgement call though

I read that as "judgmental" initially and was about to agree with you  ;D only joking.  I think the demand has been there, the events have all sold out haven"t they?  They just haven"t sold out as quickly, but that might be because of various problems with buying in through Betfair.  Previous seasons it was much easier to locate the buy-in page.   The World event was £100 and had two day 1s no?  So I think it"s worth extending the increase in buy-ins to all Nationals, it can always be re-assessed mid-season.

You"re a resourceful man Jon, you can recover this £25 by staying in hotels that charge by the hour instead of the whole night, they"re generally in the seedier parts of town, but one mans seedy is another mans frugality.

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2010, 22:05:23 PM »

No thanks :(

Newcastle would obv be closer to the stockton massive, but on that note i think it should be pointed out that we kind of like having to travel to events, we make a proper weekend of it and being away is probably the most fun part.

Not saying we wouldnt go, we obv would, but just a little post to say we also like invading other peoples cities :)

AND Newcastle is full of geordies. Which isnt so good.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2010, 22:08:12 PM »

Ooooh ooooh one more thing I forgot to mention earlier, but may have discussed in the past;  As APAT is a trailblazing organisation fearless in its pursuit of the perfect pokering experience, never afraid to take the lead with new concepts and ideas, can we introduce a ban on the wearing of sunglasses and other non-prescription eye-wear including pirates style patches, monocles and cats-eye type contact lenses.

I find it a complete nonsense to sport these forms of eye-wear indoors, unless it"s David Hasslehoff who always looks awesome, but for everyone else, a nonsense especially at the poker tables.  It"s my biggest poker bugbear next to the shrieking of STRING RAISE whenever someone fumbles chips across the line. 

I can just about accept players wearing shades at high stakes events, but APAT isn"t high stakes so it just looks daft.  It"s the poker equivalent of pub team footballers wearing silver boots and pulling their socks up above their knees cause Ronaldo does it. 

I ask for this ban not because it gives a player an edge, but because it"s about helping to educate recreational players prone to doing silly things as a consequence of watching too much poker on telly.  It"s like students who dress so indiscriminately the moment they move away from their parents house because it"s the first time they"ve been able to wear what they want without their mother"s disapproval.  It takes time before they realise just why their mother"s were so strict...because they"d look ridiculous.  But by the time these people realise and revert to more sensible daywear, it"s too late - they"ve spent three years going outside dressed like a lump of stinking crap and it"s how so many people will always remember them.

Let"s not let the same thing happen to our APAT brothers and sisters...mostly brothers.  I"m loathe to ban anyone from doing anything, but I feel on this issue it is a necessary embargo.

[?] 8) [?]  :)

+1 (Doh! Done it again.)

+ another 1. Also hoodies, caps, personal stereos and anything with a poker logo that the wearer has bought for himself! Can"t decide which looks the the most wannabe.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2010, 22:20:56 PM »

Ooooh ooooh one more thing I forgot to mention earlier, but may have discussed in the past;  As APAT is a trailblazing organisation fearless in its pursuit of the perfect pokering experience, never afraid to take the lead with new concepts and ideas, can we introduce a ban on the wearing of sunglasses and other non-prescription eye-wear including pirates style patches, monocles and cats-eye type contact lenses.

I find it a complete nonsense to sport these forms of eye-wear indoors, unless it"s David Hasslehoff who always looks awesome, but for everyone else, a nonsense especially at the poker tables.  It"s my biggest poker bugbear next to the shrieking of STRING RAISE whenever someone fumbles chips across the line. 

I can just about accept players wearing shades at high stakes events, but APAT isn"t high stakes so it just looks daft.  It"s the poker equivalent of pub team footballers wearing silver boots and pulling their socks up above their knees cause Ronaldo does it. 

I ask for this ban not because it gives a player an edge, but because it"s about helping to educate recreational players prone to doing silly things as a consequence of watching too much poker on telly.  It"s like students who dress so indiscriminately the moment they move away from their parents house because it"s the first time they"ve been able to wear what they want without their mother"s disapproval.  It takes time before they realise just why their mother"s were so strict...because they"d look ridiculous.  But by the time these people realise and revert to more sensible daywear, it"s too late - they"ve spent three years going outside dressed like a lump of stinking crap and it"s how so many people will always remember them.

Let"s not let the same thing happen to our APAT brothers and sisters...mostly brothers.  I"m loathe to ban anyone from doing anything, but I feel on this issue it is a necessary embargo.

+1 (Doh! Done it again.)

+ another 1. Also hoodies, caps, personal stereos and anything with a poker logo that the wearer has bought for himself! Can"t decide which looks the the most wannabe.

Phil Tompkinson?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2010, 22:54:53 PM »
Please never ban hoodies and ipods during the worlds at DTD season 5.

HOODIE = Useful, when unlucky enough to have to sit underneath air con unit.
IPOD     = Useful, when unlucky enough to have to sit on table with 2 or more of the local regs, who are constantly      
             Chatting BS and name dropping etc.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2010, 23:35:42 PM »

Please never ban hoodies and ipods during the worlds at DTD season 5.

HOODIE = Useful, when unlucky enough to have to sit underneath air con unit.
IPOD     = Useful, when unlucky enough to have to sit on table with Scouse, Dan, or Craig

FYP   ;D ;D ;D

RiverAsUsual

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »
Online team games

Lessening the advantage of the larger teams.

One thing that doesn"t seem to have been considered is dividing "the number of points won by a team" by "the number of members of that team who played that game" (or even a division of this latter number).

These following methods can be adjusted as necessary.

eg.1.  Team Hollywood comes 1st and 6th for lets say, 18 points and has a total of 11 players entered. Their score for that game is 18/11 = 1.64 (rounded up). Using larger points scale will be necessary for more realistic looking tables as people may underestimate the value of even a single league point difference.

eg.2. Divide the number of players entered by 3 (or whatever number seems best) always rounding up, before making a similar calculation as above. So 18 points would be divided by (11/3 = 3.66r, rounded up = 4) giving 18/4 = a score of 4.5. Again these scores can be increased by awarding a larger points scale.

The same methods using a larger number of participants eg 19 players would award (eg.1) 0.95 pts or (eg.2) 2.57 pts

Even then, these award figures can be multiplied by 10 for more realistic looking points tables.

Larger teams will still have the advantage of being more likely to have the opportunity to employ team tactics.

All that either of the above two methods does, is to better award points proportionally in relation to team numbers in any given game. In these circumstances people like myself will be more willing to turn out for a smaller team, knowing our lack of numbers is not now such a massive handicap as although smaller teams will win points less often, when they do, their awarded score will tend to be bigger.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:15:08 AM by RiverAsUsual »
2010 World Champion PotLimit Omaha Online - Gold Medal
2010 Irish PLO - Silver medal
2009 Team England - Bronze medal

plus some others

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2010, 09:09:39 AM »

Online team games

One thing that doesn"t seem to have been considered is dividing "the number of points won by a team" by "the number of members of that team who played that game" (or even a division of this latter number).

Larger teams will still have the advantage of being more likely to have the opportunity to employ team tactics.

Excellent idea John.

Without some form of handicap, this competition quickly becomes a case of "victory via supreme firepower" and as has been evidenced recently, some of the smaller teams basically give up mid-season.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
Spot on John!!

(when did you wake up?  ;D )

The Healer

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2010, 09:48:55 AM »
Great idea John.

I for one would return to playing League games if this type of format was adopted.

I was disheartened, when after registering, you find yourself in a "team" of 3, against teams of 12,13,14 etc.
The trouble with having an open mind, is that, someone will come along and insist on putting something in it

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »

+1 (Doh! Done it again.)

Phil Tompkinson?

Hoodie... Check
Sunglasses.. check
Personal Stereo.. check
Anything with a poker logo that the wearer has bought for himself.. check

Must try harder to be the most annoying APAT player and wear a cap next time.. although green hair maybe slightly more annoying  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:26:55 AM by PHIL_TC »
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2010, 11:28:04 AM »

Online team games

I like this idea too. Especially since Solent would be even further behind Walsall by this method!

I can"t decide though whether this would act as a disincentive to sign up new "random" players once a team has reached an "average" size, because each new player would mean points gained being spread more thinly. Being too big could probably be a hindrance. And not signing up players is not what APAT is about (sorry for the double neg).

Interesting idea John.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2010, 11:33:49 AM »

+1 (Doh! Done it again.)

Phil Tompkinson?

Hoodie... Check
Sunglasses.. check
Personal Stereo.. check
Anything with a poker logo that the wearer has bought for himself.. check

Must try harder to be the most annoying APAT player and wear a cap next time.. although green hair maybe slightly more annoying  ;D

I think this was just desperate measures as you were beginning to look like Blatch at the time.

I agree with shades though, it is really silly how big tours still allow them to be worn.  Maybe APAT should steal a march, be the leader not the follower and be the first major tour to ban them.  This will not only appeal to the majority but in my opinion it would be a massive "worldwide" marketing coup.
Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998