Author Topic: APAT Season 5: Discussion  (Read 276434 times)

Delboy

• Silver Member
  • Its not about the Poker
Re: S5 - APAT Season 5 - Discussion
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2011, 20:35:26 PM »

Would be nice and also a fair solution that all members of the APAT community have a real chance to play for their country at the APAT European / World Championships. Specially out of UK / Ireland there isn"t a fair solution.

I was only thinking about this yesterday.

It"s a difficult one actually because in a way we have two sets of teams.  The UK based teams where the majority of APATers are from and then the mainland European teams, whcih heavily rely on APAT having a contact in each country.

Each set of teams have a very different method in which to select their teams.  I feel that the UK team captains have a certain responsibility to look at players in current APAT form etc, whereas due to the lack of APAT events that mainland European players play, it is more likely that the captains will select a group of friends/mates that will travel over together.

It"s a tough one to get the balance right, and the last thing we would ever want to happen is always have the same faces representing each country every year.  That would detract from what the event is about.

Surley a fair solution would be to have "A" & "B" teams from the home nations and probably a "C" team for England. With more teams though, the format would need to be changed to enable teams to be eliminated through the comp.

This is a good idea in a lot of ways and I"m sure a lot of people who agree with Del here.

Just to play devils advocate here though does this not take away something from the people who are selected for the national team? At the moment it is a huge honour to be asked to represent your national team and if there is another team as well it just would not be the same.

Being objective, I suppose you could give england a B team due to the high numbers of players from england. Wales and Scotland do not need B teams.

The point is that it should be one country"s team v each other country"s team. By having more than one team per country (esp. the "host" country) you give that "host" an unfair advantage.

This is the same reasoning applied to the Forum Team Event like the one at the end of January. We don"t allow APAT to have more than one team...the same applies here.
The discussion was about the possible "unfairness" in the selection of the "away" nations teams...let"s try and keep it on track.

If we want to have a discussion about how the UK/England teams etc are selected then we can take that to another thread.

Really?

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2011, 20:37:54 PM »

Would be nice and also a fair solution that all members of the APAT community have a real chance to play for their country at the APAT European / World Championships. Specially out of UK / Ireland there isn"t a fair solution.

I was only thinking about this yesterday.

It"s a difficult one actually because in a way we have two sets of teams.  The UK based teams where the majority of APATers are from and then the mainland European teams, whcih heavily rely on APAT having a contact in each country.

Each set of teams have a very different method in which to select their teams.  I feel that the UK team captains have a certain responsibility to look at players in current APAT form etc, whereas due to the lack of APAT events that mainland European players play, it is more likely that the captains will select a group of friends/mates that will travel over together.

It"s a tough one to get the balance right, and the last thing we would ever want to happen is always have the same faces representing each country every year.  That would detract from what the event is about.

Surley a fair solution would be to have "A" & "B" teams from the home nations and probably a "C" team for England. With more teams though, the format would need to be changed to enable teams to be eliminated through the comp.

This is a good idea in a lot of ways and I"m sure a lot of people who agree with Del here.

Just to play devils advocate here though does this not take away something from the people who are selected for the national team? At the moment it is a huge honour to be asked to represent your national team and if there is another team as well it just would not be the same.

Being objective, I suppose you could give england a B team due to the high numbers of players from england. Wales and Scotland do not need B teams.

The point is that it should be one country"s team v each other country"s team. By having more than one team per country (esp. the "host" country) you give that "host" an unfair advantage.

This is the same reasoning applied to the Forum Team Event like the one at the end of January. We don"t allow APAT to have more than one team...the same applies here.
The discussion was about the possible "unfairness" in the selection of the "away" nations teams...let"s try and keep it on track.

If we want to have a discussion about how the UK/England teams etc are selected then we can take that to another thread.

Really?

Yes.  ;D
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

lucasj37

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2011, 21:48:13 PM »
New Venues for S5

Aspers Newcastle

Alea Leeds

G Blackpool

Best of S4

DTD + G Coventry

Have online series to choose an England team for European Team Championship.

Keep buy in at £75

Stick to Saturday for online championships and $50

Keep Betfair as they are an excellent sponsor.

Move pro league to FRI

Have Tallin + Barcelona in summer

silverfox

• Bronze Member
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
I can"t seem to find the the dates for the 2011 APAT Scottish leg they only have the a link saying June 2010 is this a typo ??

Can anyone confirm the dates?

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »

Season 5 (2011) dates and schedule has not yet been released.

I"m given to understand that this will happen soooooon...

silverfox

• Bronze Member
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
 I see looking forward to the new dates to be announced! Do you think it"ll be in Aberdeen again ?

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »

I see looking forward to the new dates to be announced! Do you think it"ll be in Aberdeen again ?

Nope....I don"t think there is a venue in Aberdeen that could find the capacity..even the International struggled.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
S4 is now officially over..... 

So - S5.... when?  sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon?

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »
Yeah, getting serious grief of the missus as i won"t let her book anything until I can see if it avoids clashing with APAT. Hopefully this year it won"t clash with her birthday as it has the last two!

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
I heard Des is in final negotiations with Brian Yates to ensure there is no clashes with any BCPC events.  ;)

Luke1

• Silver Member
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2011, 15:29:36 PM »
yup, would love to know the dates as soon as possible!
The Executioner

Delboy

• Silver Member
  • Its not about the Poker
« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2011, 19:17:57 PM »
Could I ask that there be a Boardman family Arm Wrestling event at each stop please?

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2011, 19:19:22 PM »

I heard Des is in final negotiations with Brian Yates to ensure there is no clashes with any BCPC events.  ;)
hahahahhaahah  rrrrrrrrrrrr
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2011, 19:21:12 PM »
lol stu.

Brians back in the uk now after his important business trip overseas, which ruled him out of leading his mighty team in Bolton.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 19:24:20 PM by WYoung83 »

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2011, 19:41:47 PM »

Could I ask that there be a Boardman family Arm mud Wrestling event at each stop please?

FYP  ;D