Author Topic: APAT Season 5: Discussion  (Read 276306 times)

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
Re: APAT Season 5: Pre-Announcement Discussion
« Reply #480 on: March 03, 2011, 16:20:16 PM »
Of course people would rather represent their country, I do not think there is any disputing that, but I dnt see how a compromise cant be found.  Why do we have to be "unfair" to anyone.  Even if the players lucky enough to be selected for their countries were allowed to reg and blind out of other events, such as stud, horse, etc it would still be a way to allow them a shot at poty.  Obviously it is not ideal, but it seems a fairer approach.

Winning the Team Champs is about pride, in that no-one is playing for the money.  It would be nice to have further opportunities to break even on what can be a very expensive long weekend.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #481 on: March 03, 2011, 16:26:55 PM »

I've got a feeling that tonight's the night  

I"m assuming when the times comes, we"ll get notifed first of a time and day when it will be announced, so people are aware beforehand to ensure they are logged on at that time?

err, why?  ???

no other reason than a more captive audience.  Not everyone comes on here everyday, so may miss the annoucement on the day.  I, again assume, most people would like to know as soon as its announced - so if a day time was known, they can indded make sure they are here at that time.

what"s the difference between reading about it the minute is announced compared to reading it the next day or the next week?

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #482 on: March 03, 2011, 16:40:00 PM »
It doesn"t matter when you read it, you"ll still think

"Really ?  Why did that take so long to get together then ?"   ;)

Hope we don"t have an expectation gap that needs filling somehow.   :o

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #483 on: March 03, 2011, 18:21:10 PM »

Are you still taking suggestions? Meant to say this before but then, you know. Anyway, it is this - Don"t make it impossible for players who are picked for the international sides to become Player of the Series, be awarded a WSOPE seat, finish 4th and win £40k.

It"s not impossible....you get to choose, play for your country or score more points. One or t"other.

Technically you are correct Paulie but lets be honest, is there a chance that you are manipulating this to add credence to your point. It is both suprising and disappointing to hear someone I had pegged as a devout Patriot make such a treasonous suggestion!

Maybe I have it wrong though. If the honour of selection to represent England is bestowed on you this season, would you consider you had a realistic choice and hence, a decision to make?

Quote from: Paulie_D

All the points scoring events are open fields...the country events aren"t. Seems fair to me.

"Points scoring events" and "Country events" are both open, you are free to apply for entry but not guaranteed a seat. Chances of success are a different matter of course and vary widely from event to event and Country to Country.

You don"t apply for an entry with the points scoring events though - you just buy a seat. You can"t just buy a seat in the "country events", that"s why they"re not open.

I think it"s right that everybody should have a chance to score points for the player of the series, but realistically the only way I can see of doing that  is if there are no clashes.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #484 on: March 03, 2011, 18:42:17 PM »
It wasn"t an issue for Seasons 1,2,3

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #485 on: March 03, 2011, 18:48:44 PM »

It wasn"t an issue for Seasons 1,2,3

That"s because S4 was the first time it was held at the same time as the DTD APAT Worlds.

I"m hoping that it will be moved to the end of S5, perhaps to be part of a whole "Team" Festival along with the Forum Team event.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #486 on: March 03, 2011, 19:20:13 PM »

I've got a feeling that tonight's the night  

I"m assuming when the times comes, we"ll get notifed first of a time and day when it will be announced, so people are aware beforehand to ensure they are logged on at that time?

err, why?  ???

no other reason than a more captive audience.  Not everyone comes on here everyday, so may miss the annoucement on the day.  I, again assume, most people would like to know as soon as its announced - so if a day time was known, they can indded make sure they are here at that time.

what"s the difference between reading about it the minute is announced compared to reading it the next day or the next week?

none wotsoever for some, but for me, and maybe others, I can"t wait to find out and I"d like to know as soon as it happens.. :)
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #487 on: March 03, 2011, 19:22:33 PM »
+1 LOL

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #488 on: March 03, 2011, 20:42:24 PM »

You don"t apply for an entry with the points scoring events though - you just buy a seat. You can"t just buy a seat in the "country events", that"s why they"re not open.

Most events are oversubscribed John so not everybody that wants to play gets to play. There are different entry criteria for sure but pedantics aside, both event types are open to all members. Some seats are obviously less achievable but that applies across the whole spectrum of "Country" / "Points scoring" Events, for bigger nation teams its naturally tougher to win a seat likewise for the Smaller field events.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #489 on: March 03, 2011, 21:03:32 PM »

Most events are oversubscribed John so not everybody that wants to play gets to play. There are different entry criteria for sure but pedantics aside, both event types are open to all members. Some seats are obviously less achievable but that applies across the whole spectrum of "Country" / "Points scoring" Events, for bigger nation teams its naturally tougher to win a seat likewise for the Smaller field events.

Not getting a seat doesn"t mean it"s not open - not being able to choose for yourself means it"s not open.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Delboy

• Silver Member
  • Its not about the Poker
« Reply #490 on: March 03, 2011, 21:17:24 PM »
To get the best chance of winning player of the series is surely to ensure Paul Pitchford gets made captain of a team.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #491 on: March 03, 2011, 22:24:23 PM »

Not getting a seat doesn"t mean it"s not open - not being able to choose for yourself means it"s not open.

QFT

Precisely my point...TY

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #492 on: March 04, 2011, 00:41:05 AM »

QFT

Precisely my point...TY

Pedantic imho.

For "Not getting a seat doesn"t mean it"s not open"  read "Not getting selected doesn"t mean it"s not open"

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #493 on: March 04, 2011, 01:18:25 AM »
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #494 on: March 04, 2011, 06:12:41 AM »

QFT

Precisely my point...TY

Pedantic imho.

For "Not getting a seat doesn"t mean it"s not open"  read "Not getting selected doesn"t mean it"s not open"

It"s not pedantic at all, it"s just the meaning of the word as opposed to deciding for yourself what it should mean.*

*labouring the point in this post may be a little bit stubborn though.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341