Author Topic: APAT Season 5: Discussion  (Read 275796 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: APAT Season 5: Discussion
« Reply #975 on: March 11, 2011, 16:59:36 PM »

...but I think if the buy-in is pushed up slightly then it will be easier for people to cover expenses.  ...

I don"t think anybody should be aiming to cover their expenses by cashing, do you?

I was playing on a roulette spin-up to cover my expenses.   ;D

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #976 on: March 11, 2011, 17:14:07 PM »

...but I think if the buy-in is pushed up slightly then it will be easier for people to cover expenses.  ...

I don"t think anybody should be aiming to cover their expenses by cashing, do you?

I was playing on a roulette spin-up to cover my expenses.   ;D

Roulette lol, shoot some crappppsss.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #977 on: March 11, 2011, 17:57:50 PM »

Very much this.

However, I have no litle doubt that there will be some sort of satellites etc/added value that people could shoot for over the course of the year.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #978 on: March 11, 2011, 18:18:14 PM »

My donkey and I had a good giggle at that.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #979 on: March 11, 2011, 19:00:52 PM »

Ref: American Amatuer Champs, Las Vegas

Has any thougth been given to the buy-in? Is it likely to remain at the dollar equivalent of £75?

Nothing finalised yet on that question.  Although I think a number of players will be heading over from the UK, the tournament will be filled by a lot of locals (and I guess tourists).  APAT is all about great value events with affordable buy-ins, so I"d be surprised if it fluctuated much from the £75 mark.

With LV tournament rakes ranging from 8% upto 30%, I"m sure any rake free tournament will be viewed as great value by LV locals.

The reason behind my question was not a suggestion that the buy-in should be increased, although I think $150 reg free would be about right and prove popular with locals. I was thinking more about satellite structures...

Lets assume that satellites will be set-up to provide a "Vegas Package", even without a spending money element, you would need around $1500 to cover flight and a [cheapish] hotel, add the buy-in and you have a total of around $1650.

What price do you set the satellites at? Bearing in mind that satelliutes for the Euro games last season were very poorly supported, beacause of the high expenses to buy-in ratio, you might need a satellite buy-in that is as much as or more than the target tournament buy-in.

Now, of course if 888poker could be persuaded to guarantee a package, for each satellite, I would think something like a $20 re-buy might get sufficient support.

Just thinkin" aloud.

8)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #980 on: March 11, 2011, 19:03:37 PM »
Good thoughts.  Please keep thinking aloud on this, as when we setup the satellites, we really want them to be well supported so we can get a bunch of players over there.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #981 on: March 11, 2011, 19:08:26 PM »
Assuming say a $2000 package...a few super satellites to a $50 satellite should be enough...I would have thought.

They"d only need 40 runners per package.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #982 on: March 11, 2011, 19:29:18 PM »

Assuming say a $2000 package...a few super satellites to a $50 satellite should be enough...I would have thought.

You would have thought so and if it were for a $3000 package to a $1500 WSOP event, with 3000 runners, a Gold Bracelet and a life changing 1st prize... you would undoubtably be right.

However, for a $150(ish) event with 200 runners and a $9000(ish) 1st prize, I"m not so sure... hence my raising the subject.

Denis67

• Silver Member
« Reply #983 on: March 11, 2011, 19:32:59 PM »
I also played on here some time ago under the name 888den (I know, I know) - will have to give it another go now - well done to APAT again for a great looking schedule.
Baldrick, we're in a very sticky situation, we're in the stickiest situation since stickty the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #984 on: March 11, 2011, 19:36:02 PM »
I get where you"re coming from Alan...but, to me, the purpose of APAT specific satellites would be to cover basic travel expenses and the buy-in.

Anything else is gravy.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #985 on: March 11, 2011, 19:38:56 PM »

I would agree with the principle of that, but we did similar for Vienna and Tallinn last year.  $50 super satellite with a $400 package to help cover buyin and travel, and I think we managed one seat (Paul Mac to Vienna iirc)

Offering guaranteed packages is the way to do it, but then you walk the tightrope of overlays.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #986 on: March 11, 2011, 19:53:13 PM »

I would agree with the principle of that, but we did similar for Vienna and Tallinn last year.  $50 super satellite with a $400 package to help cover buyin and travel, and I think we managed one seat (Paul Mac to Vienna iirc)

Offering guaranteed packages is the way to do it, but then you walk the tightrope of overlays.

What about a flight only and tournament entry package to lower the cost of the package?

Vegas hotel costs start at a very low level so if somebody won the disproportionately expensive flight part in the satellite that could easily make the difference between not being able to go and being able to do so.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #987 on: March 11, 2011, 19:57:47 PM »

What about a flight only and tournament entry package to lower the cost of the package?

Vegas hotel costs start at a very low level so if somebody won the disproportionately expensive flight part in the satellite that could easily make the difference between not being able to go and being able to do so.

I like this...$1000 should do it for the flight.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #988 on: March 11, 2011, 20:42:11 PM »
Re: American Amateur Champs

More thinkin aloud...

It is scheduled as a 3 day affair, starting on Sat 19th Nov. Now I"m assumin" this is 2 x day 1s and a day 2.

A few observations...

Venetian (1200) $130 + $20 averages 90 runners
Venetian (1900) $100 + $20 averages 100 runners
Wynn $120 + $20 average 40 runners
Aria $100 + $25 average 50 runners
(source: AllVegasPoker.com)

Vegas is busiest Saturday and Sunday, they pour in Fri evening and pour ou ton the "Red Eyes" Sunday night. The conventioners are there weekdays only.

Clearly I have no idea at what stage any negotiations may be at with any potential venue, or how this event may be promoted in the US of Americky to attract players, or what the anticipated field size is, or how that number was arrived at... but I don"t believe it will attract enough players to warrant two starting days and having it finish on the Monday will prevent the weekend visitors from taking part.

Based on the last two year"s info on the Venetian website, this weekend will likely clash with the 2011 Venetian Deepstack IV Main Event... obviously a $2.5k buy-in is a different target audience, so probably totally irrelevant, but an observation none the less.

Just observin".

Probably more thoughts and observations to follow.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #989 on: March 11, 2011, 20:51:03 PM »
Some good points there Alan, I confess I thought of the clash with the VDS might be an issue but then we are talking two different animals.

Still I await developments with interest.

Obv, with the VDS on it"s unlikely that the Venetian would host it..unless they merge it in somehow....oooooh, there"s a thought. ;D

Oh, one last thing, the info on AVP is mucho out of date..but I don"t know of a more current source.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 20:53:02 PM by Paulie_D »