Author Topic: S5 APAT English Online Championship 2011  (Read 70135 times)

ck1888

• Silver Member
Re: S5 APAT English Online Championship 2011
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:34 AM »
Interesting discussion on the disconnect issue. To be honest i am not sure what i would do. Probably lean towards raise and take.

Saying that if the general APAT consensus is that this is not in the APAT ethos and spirit then i will stand by that.

This is clearly a grey area for most. Maybe APAT should have some sort of mission statement to inform all members what we are all about and what is expected.

APAT is not as hostile as most poker forums and is unique in it"s own way. Newer members may not know this.

Chris
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

bigalhx3

• Gold Member
  • apat 7 card stud world champion & scott champ
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:45 AM »

just woke up now and agree with all . but better to move on now congrats to all who did well last night especially matt for winning omaha made up for you big man !!
As for my madness of last night cest la vie on the bright side though i now have completed my full set of large medals cos i was only missing a silver for them lol
Cant wait for coventry , are we getting presented medals there leigh / des??

wp steve and just for the record id have sat out for you
ps gl with the medal presentation in Coventry  ::)

Bartyuk

« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
I like how everyone that didnt win is moaning. Like hell you would of all sat out, i guess its easy to say that when you havnt got 660 bux and a ukipt seat staring in your face. If you are playing live and your late back the game continues. If you have connection issues thats your issue not the other guy at the table ask all the major poker sites. Makes no odds in my minds if you are friends etc. Theres no such thing as a friend in poker...

Congrats Matt and ozfest...... Great wins :D

Peace
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:20:25 AM by Bartyuk »

josharp01

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »

I lost count last night how many times i was sitting out because i keep getting timed out and others where as well now when this happend did everyone sit out or let the time run down as you would think they would in the APAT spirit, no they just pressed the raise button and moved on to the next hand

very different situation to be short handed at the business end of the tournament though.

The way I see it is this.  Why would someone want to win an APAT tournament in this manner?  Winning an APAT title should be a moment of pride. Where"s the pride when half the forum are questioning your scruples?  I"d rather win (and he still could have won),or lose, with dignity than take a hollow and guilt-tinged victory that cost me the respect of my peers.  Maybe those things don"t matter to some people though.  If not, fair enough I guess and well done.

+1

As a relatively new APAT player, this being my second tournament, I would like to think that it was not as hostile as a random game and that a little bit of respect would take place i.e. the suggestion of the 5 minute sit out then reassess the situation.

Either way, very unlucky Scouse
2013 WCOAP Razz Champion "Jangle Jangle" :)

Proud Captain of Scotland "A" team-Home Int Champs 2012 :)

Captain of S6 East of England Team :)
APAT UK Online Champion 2011
Proud member of former Team Luton :D
NinjaJoJo on APAT Poker

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »

I lost count last night how many times i was sitting out because i keep getting timed out and others where as well now when this happend did everyone sit out or let the time run down as you would think they would in the APAT spirit, no they just pressed the raise button and moved on to the next hand

very different situation to be short handed at the business end of the tournament though.

The way I see it is this.  Why would someone want to win an APAT tournament in this manner?  Winning an APAT title should be a moment of pride. Where"s the pride when half the forum are questioning your scruples?  I"d rather win (and he still could have won),or lose, with dignity than take a hollow and guilt-tinged victory that cost me the respect of my peers.  Maybe those things don"t matter to some people though.  If not, fair enough I guess and well done.

+1
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:25:23 PM by Curlarge »
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

thacker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
At the end of the day there can be many problems online.Before you play make sure your computer and connection,to the best of your ability, works!! .If things then go wrong its tough.Ive been in the same situ before on both ends and its not funny at the ****ty end for sure.In a live game if you make day two and your car breaks down or the motorway is blocked would you expect your chip lead to intact.Can you imagine everyone waiting for the chip leader?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:48:33 AM by thacker »

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »

just woke up now and agree with all . but better to move on now congrats to all who did well last night especially matt for winning omaha made up for you big man !!
As for my madness of last night cest la vie on the bright side though i now have completed my full set of large medals cos i was only missing a silver for them lol

Nice attitude Steve and vwp last night mate :-*
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
Ozfest itt.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »

Nice attitude Steve and vwp last night mate :-*

+1.

We"d all like to think we would have waited and the comparison with a live tourney as above is perhaps the proper way to look at it.

Not doing so is a personal decision and there was a lot at stake.

Doing it after 5 minutes, 10 minutes or an hour doesn"t make any difference...in the end Steve wasn"t there (for whatever reason) and the guy did what he had to.

The chat and forum wordplay is another issue and it"s being looked at.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Ozfest

« Reply #279 on: March 20, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
Morning - As said, I have been a member of APAT for some time so fully understand the ethos of the organisation - Friendly, non aggressive etc etc.  What would you do if your opponent got disconnected - raise, fold?

I must admit that it felt like robbery when i realised my opponent was out of the game, but I didn"t take all the blinds, he was connected and pushed with queen high at the end (I think), with still plenty of play left.

Anyway, well done APAT - good touney.

Stuart

Claw75

• Silver Member
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »

At the end of the day there can be many problems online.Before you play make sure your computer and connection,to the best of your ability, works!! .If things then go wrong its tough.Ive been in the same situ before on both ends and its not funny at the ****ty end for sure.In a live game if you make day two and your car breaks down or the motorway is blocked would you expect your chip lead to intact.Can you imagine everyone waiting for the chip leader?

different scenario.  you"re heads up in a live APAT championship and your opponent suddenly takes ill and has to dash off to the loo.  do you suggest pausing the clock to wait for him to get back, or (if that"s not allowed) take your time about making a decision when you"re first to act, or do you get the dealer to hurry up and raise his bb every hand?

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

different scenario.  you"re heads up in a live APAT championship and your opponent suddenly takes ill and has to dash off to the loo.  do you suggest pausing the clock to wait for him to get back, or (if that"s not allowed) take your time about making a decision when you"re first to act, or do you get the dealer to hurry up and raise his bb every hand?

How about he has a heart attack and is rushed to hospital? Do you wait then and if so, how long...an hour...a day...a month..oh, and the clock is still running too?

At the end of things, online, you don"t know WHY he left, just that he"s gone. Some people would wait a while, some wouldn"t.

Poker...tut!
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

thacker

• Bronze Member
« Reply #282 on: March 20, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
poker and morality ......... trying to win money off others.....I play to win and expect others to do the same.

gomarrrahh

• Bronze Member
« Reply #283 on: March 20, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
Fairly standard APAT running for me. Exited the PLO flopping quads, losing to runner runner straight flush. In all fairness, they flopped a house, but i run gud in APAT events, so had to settle for the miracle knockout.

Holdem was brutal too, AIPF wiv AK vs AK, he rivers flush. then got my crippled stack in with a suited queen, to run into the BBs aces obviously. Good to have APAT back, jus wish i cud get a break for once.

Congrats to all cashers, medal winners and seat winners. Pretty harsh way to lose the ME with disconnection problems, guess thats the risk with online. Cant blame the villain for doing what he did, with the UKIPT seat at stake, but then not really APAT ethos.
Maybe dont play a tourney wiv that type of prize on offer in a fire escape with someone elses internet WI-FI? Just a thought.

As for the non-regulars/abuse of players, these events werent password protected. yes 888 is the sponser and their players are eligable for APAT events but i suggest putting up a new password every event/satellite so that at least these players logon to APAT.com to find the password and play a part in the community in order for it to grow. Rather than someone with no interest in APAT jus logging on and binking a tourney and never seeing them again.

APAT WCOAP Heads Up Champion 2011
APAT UK Final Tablist 2011
APAT Welsh Online Omaha Champion 2010
APAT Season 4 - Five Time Omaha Final Tablist

Claw75

• Silver Member
« Reply #284 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:30 PM »

How about he has a heart attack and is rushed to hospital? Do you wait then and if so, how long...an hour...a day...a month..oh, and the clock is still running too?

Personally?  I ask for the clock to be stopped and the game to be reconvened whenever.  if they won"t do that, i"d suggest splitting the money by chip count and having a play off for the title at another time.  If that"s not agreed to, I"d probably make a nuisance of myself and refuse to sit down, even it means throwing away my chances of winning if i"m shorter on chips.

I am a bit of a mug for these things though, hence why I am skint.

anyway, i only threw that question in because there seemed to be a suggestion that the same ethics should apply to live and online games, but the "broken down car" scenario didn"t really tie in with the scenario under discussion.

FWIW it appears from Ozfest"s post that it wasn"t just a matter of madly raising Steve"s blind hand after hand, so the suggestions that he did may have been a bit harsh.  Still a good topic for debate though, as there certainly appear to be differing views on what is accepted etiquette in that situation.  However, as with most things, it just comes down to personal choice, and it"s certainly not a hanging offence.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:32:44 PM by Claw75 »