Author Topic: S5 APAT English Online Championship 2011  (Read 70079 times)

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
Re: S5 APAT English Online Championship 2011
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2011, 00:01:43 AM »

Congratulations to all medal winners last night.

If I was ever heads-up in an APAT event and my opponent disconnected I would always choose to sit out.

Except of course if it was Scouse - then I"d click that raise button as fast as I could.  ;)

p.s. this did actually happened to me in Season 2or3 when we were 3 handed MickyP disconnected. After I spilt my beer laughing I slow played every hand as the other guy was still playing.
Sick rub mr o
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
« Reply #301 on: March 21, 2011, 00:11:14 AM »
Steve, you handed out some grief on a guy on our table last night.Now i"ve known you ,drank with you since season 1.If i didnt know you , i might have just took your chips out of spite. As said before its against all the apat ethos ,but circumstances are different for everybody.
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

zzBlizzardzz

• Silver Member
« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:57 AM »
This is a bit like blaming the Ref fir a bad call during a match IMO. Yes it was a bad call and yes it was wrong but the Ref is part of the game, good or bad. Everyone is saying it"s not the APAT way? IMO neither is whining about a loss. What this guy did was totally within the rules, if it wasn"t then Apat would have stepped in. I know Steve and would have loved him to win this. Let"s move on shall we, and let"s not be hypocrites. We"ve all taken advantage of this situation before. Unlucky Steve, but very well played.
Team Canada Captain 2010 Silver Medalists

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »

This is a bit like blaming the Ref fir a bad call during a match IMO. Yes it was a bad call and yes it was wrong but the Ref is part of the game, good or bad. Everyone is saying it"s not the APAT way? IMO neither is whining about a loss. What this guy did was totally within the rules, if it wasn"t then Apat would have stepped in. I know Steve and would have loved him to win this. Let"s move on shall we, and let"s not be hypocrites. We"ve all taken advantage of this situation before. Unlucky Steve, but very well played.

This.

Connection issues are just a part and a risk of online poker, and we"ve all taken advantage at some point.   There are a heck of a lot of other much worse thjings that happen in APAT tournies that are not in line with the "APAT ethos".

I like to think that in this situation, against Scouse, I would have sat out for a few mins...... BUT, how long is appropriate? 10 mins, 1 hour, 3 hours????  If he doesn"t return, at some point I"m gonna start playing again..... and given that it"s 2am and I"ve been playing for 6 hours and want to go to bed, it"s likely to be nearer 10 mins than 3 hours!

Also, would there be such uproar on this thread if this had happened to a random 888 player rather than a known APAT player as popular as Scouse?  Would the "APAT ethos" be disputed then? I doubt it.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #304 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:32 AM »
To be fair, after the initial outburst most people do seem to be mainly concerned with the general principle rather than this specific incident.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
Read all the posts and hope this doesnt get out of hand . I have said cest la vie etc and lets move on. Just a couple of points would like to make first , bit annoyed with people saying about should make sure internet connection works before you start. Firstly i have as good as i can with a dongle because i am on detachment and away from home. This worked fine until about half 12 i think where it went off for some unknown reason, and cos still full table my blinds got raped which i fully expect when a few players left because you have time to sort it and may only lose a few blinds as rest of table playing. I sorted this by sitting on a fire escape near our regimental bar which has free wireless, but was locked up so had to sit in the cold on a fire escape with no plug to charge lappy . Which i am sure a lot will find that funny! Then when we got to heads up with 20 mins left on my battery power i asked for a deal to be made which i hardly ever do , and stuart declined which is completly his decision. When lap top died i ran back over to my room hoping my dongle would work again. It did and my first hand i had qj and seen a raise which assuming just nicking my blind being sat out so shoved in expecting a fold , he called with a rag 5 i believe . I hit jack but he hit ace so that was game over. I had a chip lead when lost power i think 2-1 to come back to a 1-2 disadvantage. I think he should have give me time to get back and there was a break in 7 mins so thought to wait to then would have been fair. But entirely players decision and he decided to nick blinds. I would have waited til break if it was me and to be honnest in an apat event prob would have asked leigh to replay it if no return. Obviously if not an APAT event would have nicked blinds and wouldnt have cared. And would only do it heads up if  short handed would have took time over every decision , if full ring would play normally as with play would have given player plenty of time to sort out any problems and wouldnt lose many blinds. But heads up is different your blinds go so quick online cos no play and quick dealing.
Anyway i hope this puts an end to any moaning and i dont blame stuart for doing what he did , i am sligghtly disappointed but at the end of the day it is entirely his decision, he would have got a lot of respect from myself for giving me a chance but cest la vie.
I would like to wish him all the best and good luck in the future. Now lets draw a line under it and look forward to what should be a great season 5 for APAT and all us apaters !

ps the grief i was giving to one of the players was purely and simply cos he was abusing everyone he sat with and i was defending myself and all others he was giving grief to. I can certainly give as good as i get and he deserved every insult he received. The said person showed his distane by encouraging stuart to smash my blinds at the end . Hopefully he is not as abusive next time and if so will not receive any retalliation abuse from myself.

pps thanks to all for well done wishes , phone calls , texts etc

bring on coventry woop woop !!!

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »

For me...!!!

If I get to heads up and my oppo loses connection, if I know who it is, Like Scouse for instance, and like a lot of APAT players, I am gonna give a chance to get back etc...

But...

If it is a random 888 player who I have no idea who it is, and more especially, if the oppo is a gobby plick, I click as fast as I can and steal as many chips as I can before he comes back..

Pretty much says it all for most of us I think!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #307 on: March 21, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »

For me...!!!

If I get to heads up and my oppo loses connection, if I know who it is, Like Scouse for instance, and like a lot of APAT players, I am gonna give a chance to get back etc...

But...

If it is a random 888 player who I have no idea who it is, and more especially, if the oppo is a gobby plick, I click as fast as I can and steal as many chips as I can before he comes back..

Pretty much says it all for most of us I think!

If this is the case I think we can excuse new members for following "normal" online poker protocol in this situation. Although very unpleasant and unfortunate for the disconnected player.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 13:58:42 PM by coprey »

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »

The chat and forum wordplay is another issue and it"s being looked at.

Good. Please review the chat from this tournament cos there was far too much nastiness going on, in the early stages anyway - not so sure whether this continued later into the tournament for some reason.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »

Good. Please review the chat from this tournament cos there was far too much nastiness going on, in the early stages anyway - not so sure whether this continued later into the tournament for some reason.

Only one particular offender has been specifically identified and that is being looked at.

Any chat issue, as I believe I may have mentioned before, should be pointed at 888 first with specific examples.

Forum chat is an easy one as there is always the "Report to Moderator" option.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #310 on: March 21, 2011, 13:23:29 PM »

Only one particular offender has been specifically identified and that is being looked at.

Any chat issue, as I believe I may have mentioned before, should be pointed at 888 first with specific examples.

Forum chat is an easy one as I prowl the darkened corridors of this forum at all times alert for such offences!!

FYP

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #311 on: March 21, 2011, 13:25:23 PM »

Forum chat is an easy one as I prowl the darkened corridors of this forum at all times alert for such offences!!

FYP

It"s true...I do...

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #312 on: March 21, 2011, 13:30:03 PM »

For me...!!!

But...

I think this is actually what most people would do.

If I am playing heads up against somebody who I know, then I would give them time to reconnect and ring them if I have that option to find out what is going on. After I think I have given them enough time I am going to raise and take (maybe I give them a percentage of the extra $600 when I see them next - but certainly not half of it).

However if I am playing against a random, I am just going to take their blinds, does this taint the title and the gold medal meaning they are worth less? Yes very much so, does it change the money and the added value (seat)? No, I will still play the UKIPT and I will still bank the extra $600. If it is an APAT reg and I don"t recognise the name or just don"t them then I do the same.

This is not exclusive to an APAT if I am playing a tournament on Sky for example and I end up heads up with somebody I know then I act the same way and give them a chance to reconnect. APAT Ethos does not come into this decision, I disagree with people saying "this is not very APAT", it"s poker, and I doubt it matters to many of us if the tournament is an APAT event or a random event as to what we do in this situation. What actually matters is who the other player is.

I would not have any problem with anybody clicking the raise button as fast as they could if I was disconnected no matter if I know them or not or who they are.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #313 on: March 21, 2011, 14:22:36 PM »

Forum chat is an easy one as there is always the "Report to Moderator" option.

There was more than one - and that was just on my table. If someone central wants to look at it, they can, or not. The problem with the solution you suggest is that I can"t be stuffed, especially as it wasn"t aimed at me.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #314 on: March 21, 2011, 14:38:36 PM »

I doubt it matters to many of us if the tournament is an APAT event or a random event as to what we do in this situation. What actually matters is who the other player is.

Hmm, personally that makes all the difference. In a normal online tourney against randoms i"m clicking away and taking every chip i can get as it"s all about the money. In an APAT i wouldn"t want to know i"d won the title through anything other than playing better than them (or getting lucky!). Who the other player is wouldn"t matter but then from reading about this obviously everyone has slightly different opinions.