Author Topic: Pasword for APAT tournaments  (Read 28553 times)

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Pasword for APAT tournaments
« on: March 20, 2011, 15:56:04 PM »
This has been mentioned on the thread regarding last night"s event but I think it warrants separate discussion.

Discussion seems to have been around "randoms" finding an APAT event and I think APAT needs to strike a balance between Community & Cliquey but for me it"s better that players have some awareness about what APAT is, the principles and the added value provided by sponsors rather than just stumbling across a tourney on a random Saturday night.

For me, last year"s system of one password for all events worked well. It was freely available on the forum and therefore accessible to all.

I appreciate that we would struggle to function without sponsors" input and restricting numbers may seem wrong to them.

I can only assume that we will need passwords for the league games otherwise that could get messy

I also think the are important for satellites so people know what they are playing for.
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pasword for APAT tournaments
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 16:03:26 PM »
Understand and appreciate (and agree with) the concept of a password for APAT Championship events, but despite the fact that it is freely available on the APAT forum, I"m not sure that 888 would be quite so accommodating - for every player that tries to register but is put off by the password challenge, 888 lose $5 in rake.  I know the password is openly available, but there will be players that will not bother to hunt out the password and will just go find another tourney (potentially on another site) when they get challenged to enter a password.

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 16:18:50 PM »
More the merrier imo.

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 17:00:36 PM »

888 lose $5 in rake.

I noticed the $5 rake and had me thinking, do we normally get charged rake for these games?
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 17:22:19 PM »

888 lose $5 in rake.

I noticed the $5 rake and had me thinking, do we normally get charged rake for these games?

Not before, but as from this year with 888 yes.

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 17:25:21 PM »

888 lose $5 in rake.

I know I dont read all the posts on here but was this talked about previously?
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 17:35:27 PM »

888 lose $5 in rake.

I know I dont read all the posts on here but was this talked about previously?

Yes its mentioned and discussed on various threads including the long S5 discussion thread

The live events remain rake free, but the economics of the current environment online are such that rake has to be charged online

It"s a small price compared to the added value on offer in S5 of course

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 17:42:11 PM »

+1

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 17:44:27 PM »

The live events remain rake free, but the economics of the current environment online are such that rake has to be charged online

I understand what you say, but, the added value of last year is halved, and we have to pay more for it.  Sounds like a much lesser deal than previous years.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 17:47:40 PM »
pretty sure last season was the only time online events were rake free.

As for the password thing, BSQ sponsored events were password free and after the odd incident things settled down well there
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 17:59:57 PM »

I understand what you say, but, the added value of last year is halved, and we have to pay more for it.  Sounds like a much lesser deal than previous years.

Still better value than everywhere else though?

I think considering all of the circumstances this year it is a small price to pay
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 18:00:27 PM »

but there is still added value, even if less than last year..... and paying rake is just so standard in poker I don"t see a problem with it.  We are still massively +EV compared to other normal MTTs. It"s all good.

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 18:05:24 PM »
I understand the need for a rake and I acknowledge that 888 will not want to restrict numbers in my OP.

Where"s the line though - surely we are going to have a password for the league?

What about the sats?
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 18:07:53 PM »

but there is still added value, even if less than last year..... and paying rake is just so standard in poker I don"t see a problem with it.  We are still massively +EV compared to other normal MTTs. It"s all good.

Is that still the case when there are over $1000 in rake and only $500 in added value?

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 18:29:02 PM »

Is that still the case when there are over $1000 in rake and only $500 in added value?

$500 ROI, to go towards the cost of investing in APAT, including infrastructure etc.
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)