Author Topic: Pasword for APAT tournaments  (Read 28529 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: Pasword for APAT tournaments
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2011, 13:02:11 PM »

It is a good idea, however, everyone that has an 888poker account, effectively is a member of APAT.

APAT membership is free.

Yet, those people have no idea who APAT is or even any clue that they are a member, so, if they were requested to singup to APAT forum as a final part of their membership?

I don"t disagree with that thought, and I think we"ve had this discussion before.  We have plenty of long standing members that have never signed up to the forum, let alone posted on it.  They have played many, many APAT tournaments, both live and online.

You don"t have to sign up to the forum, to be a member.  Perhaps Des wants to look at this.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2011, 13:07:28 PM »

You don"t have to sign up to the forum, to be a member.  Perhaps Des wants to look at this.

I don"t have a horse in this race but....on one hand we say that you are a member if you belong to 888 (and PS, BSq, Betfair) in previous years (although when does that stop?)...but, on the main website it says "Join up for a free membership today by clicking the banner at the top of the page."...which takes you to this forum.

This would imply that you AREN"T a member unless you are ALSO a forum member.

Otherwise, how does one keep track of who is a member and who is not?

Like I said, I have no stake but it is confusing.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2011, 13:16:27 PM »

I don"t have a horse in this race but....on one hand we say that you are a member if you belong to 888 (and PS, BSq, Betfair) in previous years (although when does that stop?)...but, on the main website it says "Join up for a free membership today by clicking the banner at the top of the page."...which takes you to this forum.

I thought you were a member of APAT if you"d played in an APAT event.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2011, 13:19:21 PM »
 ???
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2011, 13:19:53 PM »

I thought you were a member of APAT if you"d played in an APAT event.

I believe that one has been used before too!
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2011, 15:10:49 PM »

There is not a great deal of difference between the volume of players "signed" for West Mids as there is "signed" for Solent.... and I"d be surprised if there was any significant difference between the number who start the first tourney for each team.....

There is a HUGE difference..!!  If you have 100 people signed up for your team, and manage to drum up half of those to play each week...  Then the teams who have 30 signed up who also manage to drum up half are at a massive disadvantage.  Flooding a team game with massive numbers is always going to put numbers of people in the points scoring positions..  May I say, Like last season...  And now, you have been made bigger with the addition of the Birmingham team, who my have had a low turnout last season, might actually get more players now that they are in a larger team with more chance of winning.

Its all about numbers, more in the squad gives you more chance of high turnout, gives you more chance of winning the highest points each week.  I am honestly surprised that the joining of 2 teams together was allowed..  Different story if it was 2 of the very small teams to make one team similar in size to the other teams.

Carl you missed my point. I do agree that teams with bigger lists of players will likely have more players per tournament, and therefore a greater chance of success..... and for that reason, I hope Leigh's new approach to scoring will help to redress or balance.

BUT, the comment I made that you quoted, was that there is not great deal of difference between the volume of players "signed" for West Mids as there is "signed" for Solent.   I wasn"t comparing to any other teams - was merely responding to John Murray"s earlier remark.

I wasn"t objecting to the number of players they have - I was objecting to the strength of their team. In my opinion, West Midlands have too many exceptionally strong players and that sort of thing shouldn"t be encouraged.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2011, 15:35:36 PM »

There is not a great deal of difference between the volume of players "signed" for West Mids as there is "signed" for Solent.... and I"d be surprised if there was any significant difference between the number who start the first tourney for each team.....

There is a HUGE difference..!!  If you have 100 people signed up for your team, and manage to drum up half of those to play each week...  Then the teams who have 30 signed up who also manage to drum up half are at a massive disadvantage.  Flooding a team game with massive numbers is always going to put numbers of people in the points scoring positions..  May I say, Like last season...  And now, you have been made bigger with the addition of the Birmingham team, who my have had a low turnout last season, might actually get more players now that they are in a larger team with more chance of winning.

Its all about numbers, more in the squad gives you more chance of high turnout, gives you more chance of winning the highest points each week.  I am honestly surprised that the joining of 2 teams together was allowed..  Different story if it was 2 of the very small teams to make one team similar in size to the other teams.

Carl you missed my point. I do agree that teams with bigger lists of players will likely have more players per tournament, and therefore a greater chance of success..... and for that reason, I hope Leigh's new approach to scoring will help to redress or balance.

BUT, the comment I made that you quoted, was that there is not great deal of difference between the volume of players "signed" for West Mids as there is "signed" for Solent.   I wasn"t comparing to any other teams - was merely responding to John Murray"s earlier remark.

I wasn"t objecting to the number of players they have - I was objecting to the strength of their team. In my opinion, West Midlands have too many exceptionally strong players and that sort of thing shouldn"t be encouraged.

Maybe we need to introduce a handicap system John ::)
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2011, 15:36:49 PM »

Maybe we need to introduce a handicap system John ::)

We already did - I signed for the WM team.... should bring their standard down a bit.

bigalhx3

• Gold Member
  • apat 7 card stud world champion & scott champ
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 19:26:45 PM »
i believe it would go against the APAT spirit to stop any new member winning the added value seat that there poker skills had just won

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2011, 20:54:30 PM »
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

bigalhx3

• Gold Member
  • apat 7 card stud world champion & scott champ
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
Well said Tighty. No other tourneys that i know of offer such a great structure for so little. The closest are the DTD Super 50, 100 and 150s but they are only 30 minute blinds and that makes a big difference.

Playing the APATs for the last couple of years (along with joining the BCPC) has allowed me to improve my game no end and to play in the bigger comps knowing how to play in a 2 day event. The first year i played i didn"t have a clue but last year i managed to finish 4th in the overall live rankings and topped the Online league individual rankings alongside James Edwards who incidentally knocked me out of my first ever APAT!

They"re a fantastic set of events allowing players without a huge bankroll to play in proper deepstack tournaments alongside some very good players and some great people too. No other tournaments i play in have such a great sense of community. Long may they continue, keep up the good work!

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2011, 19:26:14 PM »

Back to the original post and questions raised.

Thanks Leigh

I did wonder whether we"d get back there.

There are more David Dickinson"s on this thread than you can shake a stick at!
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2011, 21:01:36 PM »
lisen to this and cheer up this is the best song iv ever heard ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BSG37I9cNU&feature=related