Author Topic: Online National League - A discussion  (Read 2321 times)

RicayBoy

• Silver Member
Online National League - A discussion
« on: March 28, 2011, 17:41:03 PM »
Hello everyone

I"ve just been looking at the way this season"s online league is structured and was just wondering whether a re-think in "team strategy" is called for.

In the past, early exchanges between team members were some might say metaphorically "frowned on". However, looking at the way the points are scored this season in that only four players can score points from any one team and that one top place finish is better for the team cumulatively than four low placed scorers, then should everyone just be playing FTW from the outset, regardless of whether it involves a collision against a team mate early on.

If we average 20 odd players a game then the best outcome is four high place finishes rather than having the bottom 10 left out of 25 for example.

Thoughts please ladies and gents....
Proud Member of Team Luton

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
Re: Online National League - A discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 19:13:17 PM »
Shirley thats how its always been played ??????
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Online National League - A discussion
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 19:26:34 PM »

Hello everyone

I"ve just been looking at the way this season"s online league is structured and was just wondering whether a re-think in "team strategy" is called for.

In the past, early exchanges between team members were some might say metaphorically "frowned on". However, looking at the way the points are scored this season in that only four players can score points from any one team and that one top place finish is better for the team cumulatively than four low placed scorers, then should everyone just be playing FTW from the outset, regardless of whether it involves a collision against a team mate early on.

If we average 20 odd players a game then the best outcome is four high place finishes rather than having the bottom 10 left out of 25 for example.

Thoughts please ladies and gents....

I understand the thinking John behind your thoughts, and as we have over the past 2 seasons tried to avoid each other as best as we can, it is enivitable that clashes will happen, and certainly in the latter stages.

We are fortunate that we get on average 18-20 players each matchday, so even more so it will happen.

Whilst never promoting soft play, collusion or the like (Not that you"re implying it) it is differcult to have a "team Strategy " as such, as poker in it basic form is an invidual game, and whether part of a club or not, individuals will play it differently. 

Some will note other members and maybe only call instead of raise etc for example (which I"m sure happens across all clubs at some point) and some individuals first thoughts won"t be who"s on who"s side etc.

Personally, I try to avoid knocking out a Lutonian, but it be wrong to be folding when I"m winning!
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013