Author Topic: APAT WCOAP Team Event Post event reflections  (Read 20101 times)

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
Re: APAT WCOAP Team Event Post event reflections
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
A few points

- the format was changed substantially since the Home Internationals, where all finishers in the MTT gained points. Here it was the top 50% only. As has been pointed out elsewhere, even if you reduced the MTT weight by 50% again, the top three positions would have been unchanged

- At the end of the Day the Wales team have had 3 out of 4 reach a 52 man MTT final table. The team leading until the MTT phase Germany did not have a single player hit the top 26. It could well be that this is an outlier result, but still it took enormous skill for Wales to get that result, and they were rewarded accordingly. Similarly for the French and the Portugese, 2 hit the final table  

- I personally like the MTT part of the competition a lot, feels it adds a great deal to the event which after all should be a test across all disciplines, particularly as the final event. It contributed to the atmosphere last night. As it was the 2nd and 3rd places went right down to the Heads Up stage too.

- I do not feel that such outstanding MTT performances negate the results of the SNG and HU rounds at all. It is merely a fact that wins and losses across teams reduces score variance in the early rounds and a team on form can harness positive score variance in their favour in a MTT. Skill, tactics and strategy can enhance that as we saw, and didn"t see in some cases, last night

- As ever though, in time for the next team event we"ll be considering further. Always open to different approaches and suggestions such as George Bedi"s are interesting.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
Rudders- U know I love you but you"re being over sensitive here buddy. No one is taking anything away from the Welsh whatsoever. U guys won fair and square and deserved it. I just think it"s really interesting discussing all points that I mentioned not just the points format for the mtt
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

rudders

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »

Rudders - you have not taken my post in the spirit that it was intended. I am chuffed to bits that you guys won - outside of the English, I always want the Welsh to win given my family links to Wales. If you remember, I stood and railed you guys last year after I was knocked out as an England player, and I was the first to congratulate you.

It"s disappointing to now be accused of knocking you, when all I am doing is contributing to a discussion about the new structure. The fact that I wasn"t there for day two is not particularly relevant - I followed every moment from my sick bed.

FFS if we aren"t allowed to promote and contribute to healthy debate on a the forum, then what"s the point.  You mention that the timing is bad - well would Christmas Day be better timing that than the day after the event??  It"s current now, and the conversation is relevant now.   I also stated somewhere prior to the event that I didn"t like the new format - and that I thought that the format from the last two years was better.

As I"ve said many times on this forum and on facebook, huge congratz to the Welsh on your third win in a row.

Please take my post in context-( oh and I am not really too much of a senstive soul; george  ;) - my original post was straight after steve and jons posts on the updates thread- it now appears after a number of other posts that change its context). Steve I didnt take you post as knocking us- just it had the tone oh well done but.....

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 13:07:39 PM by rudders »

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
I post this mid thread merges so for completeness :

Hats off for a great win ... I think the structure is spot on, albeit the points scoring weighting could be altered to make the event even more exciting at the death.

If the MTT points values were halved then if people finished in the same positions then the top five would have been as follows:

Wales 80 pts
France 78 pts
Portugal 77.5 pts
Scotland 80.5 pts
Rep or Ireland 79.5 pts

I don"t make this point to indicate Scotland should be placed higher, more that there would have been 5 teams in play for all the medals at the death.

As things ran last night, Wales would been favourite going into the last two tables but they would have more had to play for the win than to stay alive. They had the stacks to do this, which were built up in the main by attacking play and I would always want to reward that.

In my first table - David Rudling-Smith took the lead and made the running and no surprise to see him return to my table later on with a stack.

He and Dan Owston then bullied the table with their stacks until about 12 players out when it became optimal to sit and wait and scoop the title.

As before we all knew the structure going into the event so good MTT play would always be well rewarded.

Maybe the other teams should have kicked back stronger whilst the stacks were being built?

Great work - hopefully back next year to do battle.

L

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 13:19:30 PM »

Rudders- U know I love you but you"re being over sensitive here buddy. No one is taking anything away from the Welsh whatsoever. U guys won fair and square and deserved it. I just think it"s really interesting discussing all points that I mentioned not just the points format for the mtt

+1 Here, and you know how i feel, but i can"t change the fact that b4 the Event kicked off i was moaning about why the format changed from last years, which worked so well. There are plus and minus points for both arguaments, and i second tighty here in saying the MTT did add excitement, and really create an atmosphere that outweighs anything at previous events.... it also brought a lot of tactics into play and the dynamic was constantly changing with some having more to play for than others, something that worked both for AND against us during the tournament, and also brought a new level of thinking into play.

On a positive note, i"m over the moon and as proud as anyone could be for all my fellow team-mates and countrymen.... and would like to take this oportunity to thank everyone who wished us well over the 2 days, and to once again meet so many great friends, both new and old.....  Myself and team Cymru love you all ! ! ! !

Now if only i could make a day 2 in a main event .. . . . .. . . .  . .. . .

stoneii

• Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 18:53:33 PM »
- the format was changed substantially since the Home Internationals, where all finishers in the MTT gained points. Here it was the top 50% only. As has been pointed out elsewhere, even if you reduced the MTT weight by 50% again, the top three positions would have been unchanged

Actually Tighty I think it would have changed 2nd and 3rd place results, but just being a pedant here :)

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 23:31:44 PM »
Altho not involved at all i feel this is prob the best place to post:

I firstly wanted to say what a great craic friday was, and altho i was just sat around all day after busting in rd 1 of the HU, the atmosphere and energy in the room for the Team Event was wicked!!

Rudders, firstly well done in the victory (altho keepin up with the celebrations meant i had about 4hrs sleep before trekking back to Cov for Day 2 of Goliath!!!)
All you can do is go out and do he business, with the points in place and you did so.....as an APAT virgin i can deffo see an opportunity to tweek the points system etc, and i think going forward it would make for a interesting dynamic

Was wicked to meet u all, sadly had to unreg the ME, but cant be helped sadly!!

I still want a Portugal jacket tho ;)

Again thanks for all making me welcome as a newbie, i look forward to playin the rest of S5 and S6 et al.

Dann Williams (or Swines Chaffeur) ;)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 00:23:51 AM by s4ooter »
Team Gotham - The Joker

Serial APAT Underachiever

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 00:10:14 AM »
Hmmmm, thats an unusual response to a newbies post to say he enjoyed the event you guys run.......you coulda at least just put tl;dr ;)

Imagine if i was a hater  :-* :-*
Team Gotham - The Joker

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 00:18:32 AM »

Hmmmm, thats an unusual response to a newbies post to say he enjoyed the event you guys run.......you coulda at least just put tl;dr ;)

Imagine if i was a hater  :-* :-*

No your post was very largely positive but having set APAT up 5 years ago, I don"t like to see any of our members referred to in that way.  For what it"s worth I don"t for a minute think you meant any bad by it, but would assume the member you were referring to would probably be offended.  
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 00:26:28 AM »
lol just read my post back,and i missed the word "play"..... but just deleted the whole thing for ease..........it wasnt supposed to be a negative comment to my Opp, more the play itself.....but anyways, im not here for disputes

Big Virtual Hug!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Team Gotham - The Joker

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 00:28:45 AM »
Ahh, ok - point and virtual hug accepted :)

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 00:33:38 AM »

Des....remove your hand from my ass please ;)
Team Gotham - The Joker

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 00:39:08 AM »

Des....remove your hand from my ass please ;)

ffs, going to have to ban you all over again!!  lol

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 00:40:58 AM »
Well, at least its a record time!!
Team Gotham - The Joker

nooteboom17

• Bronze Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »
although the mtt is obv not a German thing, I like it very much being in the team event. personally I think, there were too many points given in the mtt, since Germany hat 68 after four rounds of five. in the mtt we needed to make 50% of this score to get into the medals...

a interessting feature for the mtt would be: any teams get chips related to the score before the mtt. lets say 10.000 for every 10 points. then the team captain can decide, which player of his team gets which starting stack in the mtt. so having 68.000 chips for the whole team, I can give 17k each of the team, or give a chip lead to us at an important table...

still, I think, there should be a rule, so that not two players of one team can be drawn to one table. this prevents all the problems like soft play, chip dumping and so on. the rule here should be: if two players of the same team would be drawn together, the stack of both players will be merged. one player is out and receives the points for this spot and the other goes on with a bigger stack...

just thoughts...

...and oh yeah: BIG congrats to the Welsh Team!!! no structure can be found, where the Welsh are not winning!!