Author Topic: Situations?  (Read 14389 times)

thestinger

Re: Situations?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »
Not that long ago I had  ah :as: all in against  :3s: 7s and was gubbed by  4s 5s qh, 6s, kd.  After that I decided that not everbody folds because a player has played/indicated a big hand (and if that were always true it wouldnt be much of a game).  IMHO sometimes that big bit of luck that is in the game is sometimes just worth a punt!  It just comes round to the "when am I gonna shove!" and man up/take the chance to win.

TBH Charlie Sheen should be the spokesperson for "POKER".
have ye ever drunk baileys fae a shoe!

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »

Not that long ago I had  ah :as: all in against  :3s: 7s and was gubbed by  4s 5s qh, 6s, kd.  After that I decided that not everbody folds because a player has played/indicated a big hand (and if that were always true it wouldnt be much of a game).  IMHO sometimes that big bit of luck that is in the game is sometimes just worth a punt!  It just comes round to the "when am I gonna shove!" and man up/take the chance to win.

TBH Charlie Sheen should be the spokesperson for "POKER".

Absolutely agree with the "when am i gonna shove"......anywhere near 5 BB"s with antes just about any 2 cards are worth the value (hope they"re live, please let them be live  :D ), but I"m mainly looking at cash and tournament situations where I may be able to learn from mistakes. Think we"ve all had the good fortune of doubling up with a crazy short stack shove and ran into QQ/AK or similar in the blinds, but those situations are generally unavoidable and play themselves out........and yeah Charlie"s the man for that particular "job"  ;)
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 19:04:18 PM »
OK gang another spot for your consideration, TBH I"d usually raise or fold pre with this kind of hand, but the SB has been raising pre + post flop, not necessarily with premium starting hands and BB Voodafe hasn"t long joined the table and hasn"t shown many cards. So what should the Fat Charlie boy do here.............

Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: gvozd13 ( $2 )
Seat 2: kruch4444 ( $4.65 )
Seat 3: SantinoAPAT ( $16.67 )
Seat 5: szoly0510 ( $10.02 )
Seat 6: rainymood ( $10 )
Seat 7: chomper29 ( $1.75 )
Seat 9: krasser17 ( $20.51 )
Seat 10: voodafe ( $11.28 )
krasser17 posts small blind [$0.05]
voodafe posts big blind [$0.10]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to SantinoAPAT [  8c  6c ]
gvozd13 folds
kruch4444 folds
SantinoAPAT calls [$0.10]
szoly0510 folds
rainymood folds
chomper29 folds
krasser17 calls [$0.05]
voodafe checks
** Dealing flop ** [  qc  9c  7c ]
krasser17 bets [$0.30]
voodafe calls [$0.30]
SantinoAPAT raises [$2]
krasser17 raises [$20.11 all in]
voodafe folds

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 19:39:13 PM »
Is this turning into a bad beat thread?
Looking forward to making my first day 2

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 19:49:30 PM »
Gee, Grant, that"s a tough one.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 20:45:57 PM »

Not bad beats as such Dean, bad decisions maybe. Minimising losses, making the correct decisions, learning from my fellow APAT members and playing better (hopefully  ;) )

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 21:00:51 PM »

Gee, Grant, that"s a tough one.

Is that a fold then John???  :P

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 21:47:04 PM »
You may be ahead but if I was playing this , fold for me !!
but what do I know LOL

bhoywonder70

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 04:09:14 AM »
I"m calling......we call here right...fk  the four flush with his  ks qd ks
Apat Scottish online open gold medal holder 2008....

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »

Not bad beats as such Dean, bad decisions maybe. Minimising losses, making the correct decisions, learning from my fellow APAT members and playing better (hopefully  ;) )

Thing is Grant, it isn"t really a decision though is it? If you are going to limp with this sort of hand, what flop are you hoping for, and why wouldn"t you commit your chips when you hit it? You limp SCs hoping to hit big, and it couldn"t get much bigger than it did, so there is no decision.

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 09:25:16 AM »
Looks highly likely that either he"s hit trips and he thinks he"s protecting his hand, or you"re drawing to a two-outer. I"m reluctantly calling here.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »
Grant in a full handed micro stakes game more often than not u will run into a real hand, rethink your whole approach.
so basically all u have to do is just attack the weak players to make money in the micros, raise to isolate a loose passive fish, or reraise to isolate a loose aggressive maniac etc. attack players who cannot fold 2nd best hands or attack weak tight types who fold to aggression or who may check fold/give up to much.. so size up the types u are up against, get a read on them, be it that are they fish, maniacs, or calling stations etc, isolate them with position and adjust your range using hands that have big hand potential or something that can make a decent tptk etc... its important in the micros to be selective when opening a pot from earlier, but from late position u can open up to a more short handed game style.
so in summary in micro full ring game base your game around the strategy of isolating anyone who does anything that is easy to exploit, after all its cash, u are playing for the long term, sit there and get used to judging the ability of your opponents and what strength hands they are prepared to stack off with/over play etc, use position and exploit them... forget blind stealing to a certain extent unless of course they fold enough to make it profitable to steal super wide..

if u dont have a read and these guys are going berserk on any flop more-so on textures like these, then just fold.. adjust later if/when u see a showdown..

question - given the stacks sizes, how the action goes plus the flop texture, how often in your opinion will u see a worse hand?
with reads = more correct decisions long term = profit long term

Santino67

• Platinum Member
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 13:43:15 PM »

Grant in a full handed micro stakes game more often than not u will run into a real hand, rethink your whole approach.
so basically all u have to do is just attack the weak players to make money in the micros, raise to isolate a loose passive fish, or reraise to isolate a loose aggressive maniac etc. attack players who cannot fold 2nd best hands or attack weak tight types who fold to aggression or who may check fold/give up to much.. so size up the types u are up against, get a read on them, be it that are they fish, maniacs, or calling stations etc, isolate them with position and adjust your range using hands that have big hand potential or something that can make a decent tptk etc... its important in the micros to be selective when opening a pot from earlier, but from late position u can open up to a more short handed game style.
so in summary in micro full ring game base your game around the strategy of isolating anyone who does anything that is easy to exploit, after all its cash, u are playing for the long term, sit there and get used to judging the ability of your opponents and what strength hands they are prepared to stack off with/over play etc, use position and exploit them... forget blind stealing to a certain extent unless of course they fold enough to make it profitable to steal super wide..

if u dont have a read and these guys are going berserk on any flop more-so on textures like these, then just fold.. adjust later if/when u see a showdown..

question - given the stacks sizes, how the action goes plus the flop texture, how often in your opinion will u see a worse hand?

Absolutely agree Noble so my thinking is along the lines of 2 of the 3 players on my left I know fairly well (Szoly - fairly solid, doesn"t get too involved without cards...and Chomper - will shove his short stack with any reasonable ace or PP) and they have position on me so i fold to any pre-flop raise OOP. SB Krasser is a bit of a maniac, plays too many pots but been using his stack well to bully.
Had I picked up this hand in Cut Off or Button in this situation I"m raising probably (so should the same apply 2 or 3 seats to the right with the 2 tightys on my left? Dumb question probably, just shouldn"t be limping full stop i suppose). The hands I"ve actually seen that Krasser has exposed have been things like J/9, K/8, Q/10 etc and he"s been tangled up with these to turn/river/showdowns holding stuff like 2nd pair, top pair weak kicker, straight draw etc, won some and lost some. I know he"s willing to gamble with the Queen in his hand or the bigger club draw. Did I get it badly wrong...........

SantinoAPAT calls [$14.57]
** Dealing turn ** [  8h ]
** Dealing river ** [  5c ]
** Summary **
SantinoAPAT shows [ 8c  6c ]
krasser17 shows [ Jc  Kc ]
SantinoAPAT collected [ $32.06 ]

Yeah on this occasion the poker gods shone their light on me, but tbh i was stunned when i saw what he was holding. Simply because I"d seen him raise pre with a number of weaker unsuited hands. Given my read on his range and Steve"s comment about hitting the flop big I went with the call and got it horribly wrong. There aren"t many times I play that i actually feel like a complete donk, but have to admit this was one of them (despite the end result). More experience, more learning, better reading needed...........cheers for the advice guys, all much appreciated  

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 14:00:59 PM »

Another nice post Noble but!

This one sentence is contradictory and imho, bad advise. Blind stealing is a major factor in your win rate and an integral part of a winning strategy. You absolutely must understand, and correctly exploit stealing opportunities.

Santino: Try seperate threads for these hands, much cleaner and easier for posters to find the hand they are following.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 14:06:19 PM by TheSnapper »
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 14:24:33 PM »
forget blind stealing to a certain extent unless of course they fold enough to make it profitable to steal super wide..

This one sentence is contradictory and imho, bad advise. Blind stealing is a major factor in your win rate and an integral part of a winning strategy. You absolutely must understand, and correctly exploit stealing opportunities.

naaa , i did say to a certain extent and unless its profitable.... just trying to point out the major difference between 6max and full ring...

i should of wrote - Blind stealing is a major factor in your win rate in 6max, less so in full ring...

Santino: Try seperate threads for these hands, much cleaner and easier for posters to find the hand they are following.

or stick the whole session hh in a replayer, give the link and see if the APATers can pick up on anything u maybe missing..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 14:46:12 PM by noble1 »