Author Topic: JJ in late position  (Read 12615 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
JJ in late position
« on: November 07, 2011, 14:43:00 PM »
APAT US online Champs

Blinds 50/100

UTG $9710 raises to 262 - his second raise of the tourney. HEM Says 63 hands, VPIP 10% Raised 5%
Me $7198 calls with  jd jc - I don"t know why I didn"t raise here. Possibly because the HEM stats slowed me down?
button and blinds fold

Pot 674
Flop  :2h: td kd

UTG checks
I check behind, again I don"t know why I did this. I gave UTG such a tight range for his raise UTG and yet, without the stats from the HUD I"d for sure be betting here. I"d bet it live without a strong live tell or knowledge

Turn  6d
again check check - I"m still paralysed by the fear that I"m going to get check raised or some such and loathing my life on a board that I really ought to be more than happy with

River  7h

UTG bets 674 - half pot...

I"ve butchered this completely thus far but I have to call don"t I?

ID for UTG may influence responses so is withheld for now. I didn"t know him/her nor have any history to refer to.

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: JJ in late position
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 15:34:20 PM »
Despite your lack of historic info, you still have something to help put together a range for him....   Given he has played tight thus far, you can probably discount AJ/KQ/QJ type marginal hands for an UTG raise.  You can certainly include TT+.  His small raise may also be his way of entering a pot in EP with a small pair - some people won"t open limp in any circumstance.

So - he checked the K hi flop, but might be trapping with AK/AA. Would he really check again on the turn, particularly as the board got wetter.... surely time for a bet to make you pay for any diamond draw you may have?  So, possibly discount AK/AA.    So that leaves all small pairs, and QQ.  If he had hit a set, is he really likely to check it twice - particularly with the diamond on the turn? I would discount a set for same reason as I discount AA/AK.

That means his range could be as narrow as QQ or a small pair that has not improved.

Also, you"re hand is hugely under-represented. Easy call.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 15:56:00 PM »
Pre is fine, flop is ok. I"d bet the turn though and not sure you can do anything but call now
Looking forward to making my first day 2

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 16:04:45 PM »
Don"t think of it as played badly... More just played differently!!!  ::)

Easy call, if you lose you can be thankful you got away cheaply. If you win you can use this info to collet more chips in the future!!

Although, I think you are winning!
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 16:34:06 PM »
Wish I didnt already know the answer here, but definitely calling the river, would have raised pre for sure though.. and I suspect you would normally Dave regardless of HEM stats x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 16:42:46 PM »
So for those that want to 3bet pre vs an utg supposedly tight open, what do you if you get 4bet?

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 16:57:09 PM »

So for those that want to 3bet pre vs an utg supposedly tight open, what do you if you get 4bet?

Would much rather 3-bet pre with 67s.    JJ has way too much equity to risk having to lay it down to a 4-bet.... it"s a hand to play post rather than pre (against a tight UTG raiser), imo

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 17:11:51 PM »
Well I wouldn"t 3bet 67s either......

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 17:18:03 PM »

Been posted before I think... but still makes me smile  ;D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9CBtSW0kA[/youtube]

x

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 17:42:11 PM »

So you wouldnt 3 bet in late position, what would you 3 bet with? Ks or As?

Personally I would 3 bet here 100% in position. Would rather 3 bet and then play the streets aggresively than check down and let them get there.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 18:27:23 PM »
All seems fine to me. WP
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 23:02:18 PM »

Personally I would 3 bet here 100% in position. Would rather 3 bet and then play the streets aggresively than check down and let them get there.

I probably 3bet a reasonably high amount generally, for someone playing APAT. However 3betting and putting all my 70bbs in pre vs a tight utg open is unlikely to see me in good shape. 3betting and folding seems a real waste too. Flatting in position keeps in his dominated hands and hides the strength of our holding and is easily best here IMO.

Yes we have jacks in late position, but we face an utg open. I will probably flat queens and Ak here to fwiw

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 23:26:15 PM »

For lots on whether to 3 bet or not, read this thread

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 23:55:14 PM »
Don"t think this is butchered at all. I play it the same way pre and post flop. Maybe betting the turn is better than checking back. Given how little you have now invested and that you are so under repped, I"m pretty sure you call the river bet.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 00:07:14 AM »
Flatting pre is fine with  jd jc.

On the  :2h: td kd flop, its quite a wet flop and there are"nt any hands in his range that will call a bet, of the hands that missed the flop, AJ, AQ have gssd and 1 over and likely fold, ad1 qd never folds and is a 55/45 favourite versus  jd jc

On the :2h: td kd 6d turn, we can squeeze some value now from AJ+ any diamond combos which now have gssd and fd. These hands can call a bet and folding them out is ok for us too since we steal their considerable 33% equity when they fold. A bet of 350+ denies villain the correct odds to call. These hands cannot call a bet on the river unless they get there so you can only extract value with a must bet on the turn.

As played you have to call the river bet but will sometimes pay off the two outer"d 66,77 and sometimes a well played KQ.

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."