Author Topic: Is this a good spot to 4 bet?  (Read 3579 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Is this a good spot to 4 bet?
« on: May 20, 2009, 21:33:31 PM »
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
Re: Is this a good spot to 4 bet?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 22:05:55 PM »
stack sizes fit however I"d need a really good read on both to make this play
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 22:14:24 PM »
all in -- but thats just me

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »
Not worth the risk IMO, wait for a better spot, or at least a hand worth a semi bluff! And then only with a bit of a clue on the raiser.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:24:02 PM »
100% dependant on info gathered on fkit01.  Without a solid basis for assuming he is weak then it is a fold the majority of the time and w8 for a better spot.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 15:36:38 PM »
nope not a good situation to 4bet light - as above - no idea of his ranges to 3bet with...
he may well be 3betting light here but to 4bet here effectively it means going all in and personally i"d want a hand which can play well post if called eg. 78s TJs AQ KQs the type which hit big or have showdown value.
i take it this is not a huge buy in Rob so considering his position i"d say his range here is fairly tightish.I"d look for loose raisers or std tags to my right at this sort of buy in to 3bet light when i"m in position if card dead.The sort of tendencies i look for are the fit or fold types [usually the std tags] the loose raisers i find depending on how deep the stacks are and the board/texture etc tend to call our cbet so i need to see them folding a good amount of turns to 2nd barrels..
If you have HUD these types have stats that look like 30/20 22/17..One thing i"d add is if you go to showdown after 3betting pre with J9s say at a lowish buy in these guys will still not know how to properly adjust to you but they will start to call you down light rather than 4betting or calling your 3bets then check raise bluff your flop cbet..so tighten up on your hands/cbets ...
Big subject as like most of poker its all situational but i hope this helps a wee bit...

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 16:14:07 PM »
thanks for the replies. The general consensus is that this is not a good spot to 4 bet light.

I did 4 bet all in though and it got through adding about 25% to my stack. My thinking was that the SB thought I"d steal light given that the BB was a sit out. I thought he could easily 3 bet light here. As george said, the stacks do fit here and the SB had left himself plenty behind to fold to a 4 bet. Coupled with the fact that I had hardly played a hand (was I getting bored?) I thought that the SB would fold a lot of better hands here and would think he was dealing with QQ+ or AK.

It was quite a big buy in for me as well (22 euro) and a lot of the deadwood had gone by then, so I thought most players left would be able to lay down to a 4 bet there....In hindsight, I can see that I would need a stronger read to do this again (I didn"t try it again!!) and a stronger hand if I did it for all my chips.

I just remember thinking at the time "this is crazy" and just because it worked this time, wanted to know if it was a profitable play in the long run. I was definitely influenced by the sit out BB and would not have tried this if he had not been sat out.

I did manage to FT this tourney which was pleasing ( came 10th though >:()

thanks again for your thoughts. Any others are of course appreciated
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 16:45:49 PM »
I thought that the SB would fold a lot of better hands here and would think he was dealing with QQ+ or AK.

so I thought most players left would be able to lay down to a 4 bet there.

i don"t mind that you decided to gamble here your going to have some FE here,its just the above quotes  :) in that it seems to me [i may be wrong if so sorry Rob] that you are transfering your stds/ranges to the other villains,if that had been me i"d call your 4bet with 88+ AJ+  :)
1. i"d have u covered.
2. i"d read this situation like u have.
3. if i"m going to lose then i don"t mind as your on my right which makes it easier to get them back later [the i"m a dam theory/chips tend to flow clockwise..
4. i"d want to knock you out  ;D and build a monster stack.

well done on the FT btw gg sir..