Author Topic: Sunday Hundred Grand Tourney on PokerStars for $11  (Read 13141 times)

DarthClubs

• Bronze Member
Sunday Hundred Grand Tourney on PokerStars for $11
« on: November 25, 2007, 23:57:03 PM »
Just wondering what ppl"s views were on this tourney.
I"ve just been knocked out in 779th place out of just shy of 19000.

I really enjoyed the game but found that once you got to the money,
(3000 got paid out) everyone stopped playing poker and it just became an all in fest.

Was sat on around 60000 chips for about an hour, the blinds were 500 / 1000 and gradually moved up to 2000 / 4000 but every single pot became a steal as ppl moved all in for around 20/30000.

You couldn"t play because you knew this so i felt i had to wait for a hand to make some chips.

Ended up pushing for my last 37000 chips when yet again the guy under the gun pushed all in pre flop with 48000.

I had pocket kings and he turned over 8 3 of hearts and made his flush with runner runner on turn and river.

Now i"m happy with my play but I was getting really really fustrated with the total lack of play at the table.

WHY CAN"T THESE PPL GET INTO BACKGAMMON OR SOMETHING lol

Thats it........ rant over.

Anyway....... just wondered if other ppl had played the tourney and what their views are.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Sunday Hundred Grand Tourney on PokerStars for $11
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
i"ve played it a few times and last sunday had my best result in it. 200th out of 17000.

It is actually listed in poker player magazines top turbo tourneys. It recognises that with 10 minute levels, it isn"t a proper turbo but the large field tends to make the decisions similar to the ones in a turbo.

I agree with you on it being a donkshoot but you can play properly to get in the money (3000 get paid normally). How much you get depends on a lot of luck. As for pushing all the time.... well the structure determines this strategy. The average stack after the money bubble is normally 12 - 15 BBs (or an M ratio of 6-7) so all in is the only move for most players. (Although UTG with 83s is not the best spot - maybe the blinds were about to go up?)

I do find the tourney fun but the real frustrating part is the stalling around the various bubble marks. You do get alot of people who are happy to let themselves get whittled down to 2 BBs and use alll their timebank in the hope of just creeping into the money and winning $18 in return for their $11 investment. This does slow the game down and probably contributes to the low BB average stack

I believe BSQ run $11 deepstack tourneys twice every fortnight. The standard of play is really good, even if the money rewards are not the greatest time investment. ;D
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 18:25:43 PM »
83s - he was pretty sure had two live cards...
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

duncthehat

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 16:40:56 PM »
So far i have played this 14 times and cashed 11 times.

3000 places paid means this isnt exactly the most difficult thing to do.

However I have yet to progress past the first level of the pay out structure!!!

grrrrr!!!
WSOP 2014 Seniors 207th - A cash at last!
WSOP 2011 Horse just off a cash :(
WSOP 2012 Horse Crap.  Stud Hi Lo 3 off money :(
3 x Horse WCOAP Final Tables
1 x Razz WCOAP Final Table
Apat Series PLO Runner up 2011
3 x APAT NLH Top 10 Finishes

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
a sold out 20000 for this last night. didn"t reg in time.

$200K for a $10 entry. now that is valooooo
Rob, you are a genius.

ian_distort

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 20:25:37 PM »
It"s not when your kings get busted by k4o, Rob :)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 22:47:50 PM »

It"s not when your kings get busted by k4o, Rob :)

nh wp gg
Rob, you are a genius.

Digger

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 15:01:42 PM »

i"ve played it a few times and last sunday had my best result in it. 200th out of 17000.

It is actually listed in poker player magazines top turbo tourneys. It recognises that with 10 minute levels, it isn"t a proper turbo but the large field tends to make the decisions similar to the ones in a turbo.

I agree with you on it being a duckshoot but you can play properly to get in the money (3000 get paid normally). How much you get depends on a lot of luck. As for pushing all the time.... well the structure determines this strategy. The average stack after the money bubble is normally 12 - 15 BBs (or an M ratio of 6-7) so all in is the only move for most players. (Although UTG with 83s is not the best spot - maybe the blinds were about to go up?)

I do find the tourney fun but the real frustrating part is the stalling around the various bubble marks. You do get alot of people who are happy to let themselves get whittled down to 2 BBs and use alll their timebank in the hope of just creeping into the money and winning $18 in return for their $11 investment. This does slow the game down and probably contributes to the low BB average stack

I believe BSQ run $11 deepstack tourneys twice every fortnight. The standard of play is really good, even if the money rewards are not the greatest time investment. ;D

FYP -  ;D
The amount of good luck coming your way depends on your willingness to act.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 16:44:40 PM »
Came 66th this Sunday just gone- it is a shove fest but if you know what you"re doing and can assess people"s ranges you can go quite deep.

its like playing 1 long turbo sit and go.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

2make1whole

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 23:29:02 PM »
hi i came 184th in 1 of the sunday 100k 16786 players i think but the problem was my connection was going ape it had been fine until went in this comp.anybody else find that i was gutted it timed me out kept folding hands  :as: ks, 9h 9s qh qc etc to name a couple and blinded me out i was gutted as to get that far mite have been a once in a long time chance..

but it does get a all in a hopw your best hand holds up though on stars thats not very often..

did hit lucky on 1 hand though my  kd jd vs his  kc ac
FLOP WAS  4h 8c kd

THEN CAME  jh
                  jc

duncthehat

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 22:42:29 PM »
wish i had never mentioned all my cashes a few weeks back.  failed to cash every week since lol!!!
WSOP 2014 Seniors 207th - A cash at last!
WSOP 2011 Horse just off a cash :(
WSOP 2012 Horse Crap.  Stud Hi Lo 3 off money :(
3 x Horse WCOAP Final Tables
1 x Razz WCOAP Final Table
Apat Series PLO Runner up 2011
3 x APAT NLH Top 10 Finishes

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 14:22:43 PM »
played in this last night at the same time as the cardiff satellite. Came 171st out of 20000. This was a miracle as I suffered some horendous beats along the way. AA lost to 33 (made a straight), QQ lost to AJ (rivered A), QQ lost to K5sooooooooooted (made a straight), JJ lost to Q10 soooooooooooted (flopped a flush)

It was quite possibly a terrible idea playing an all in shove fest at the same time as the satellite. I"m sure it contributed to my decision to shove allin in the CO with J9o. I had 12000 and blinds were 1000/2000. Ran into AA in the button and out after 3 hours of near solid satellite poker in 14th for squat.
Rob, you are a genius.

The Codd

• Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 23:12:34 PM »
Mdae 61st last night and although it was good fun, it"s not poker.   The average stack has an M of less than 5 once you get in to the money a bit, everyone is in push or fold move, you just have to either hope you don"t get called or get lucky.   There was one guy on my table who went from 5th with over 1m in chips to out in 3 straight hands, all of them he had ok hands in too, just crazyness.

That said, it"s been a handy tourney for a bit of cash to me.  I was down to my last $5 in the account so the cash certainly came in handy :)

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 08:50:20 AM »

Mdae 61st last night and although it was good fun, it"s not poker.   The average stack has an M of less than 5 once you get in to the money a bit, everyone is in push or fold move, you just have to either hope you don"t get called or get lucky.  

still learning...what is this M you mention?
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 09:47:08 AM »
Cant remember what M exactly stands for, but I know what it means. It is the ratio of your stack to the total of blinds/antes posted.

e.g.1 stack = 3000 chips, blinds 10/20, your M is 100
e.g.2 stack = 3000 chips, blinds 100/200 with 25 ante on 8 player table, your M is 6

What is the point of knowing your M?

the size of your M determines what strategy you employ. With an M of 100 you are a fully functioning poker player, with numerous options in many situations. With an M of less than 5 that Cod quotes from this tourney, you have 2 options. Push or fold

For M"s between 5 and 100, work it out for yourself, I know I haven"t yet!
Rob, you are a genius.